Turkeys 101 - New To Turkeys (What Do I Need To Know?)

What if you've never had an incident of Coccidiosis?? Is it still a risk? I keep all of my poultry together and the brooder was used recently by other poultry. I just can't keep any of my poultry inside. My dogs are my biggest predator. So I've got a barn with a dirt floor and that is where they all are. So far so good I guess. I guess that's my answer. I don't have much choice so I will deal. Thanks again!

What if you've never had an incident of Coccidiosis?? Is it still a risk? I keep all of my poultry together and the brooder was used recently by other poultry. I just can't keep any of my poultry inside. My dogs are my biggest predator. So I've got a barn with a dirt floor and that is where they all are. So far so good I guess. I guess that's my answer. I don't have much choice so I will deal. Thanks again!

If you're not having any problems, just keep a watchful eye out on your poults for changes in behavior, eating and drinking. I'm sure that they will be fine.

Great thread.... thanks kuntrygirl for posting this..... it really gave me a better picture of our new poults' needs....

Great thread.... thanks kuntrygirl for posting this..... it really gave me a better picture of our new poults' needs....

This thread Turkey 101 was created for newbies who are just starting off with turkeys. This thread will provide basic info to you if you are wanting to raise turkeys and don't know where or how to start. We hope that this thread helps.

Please know that no question is a dumb question. We don't think that way here. We know that if you are thinking about it and want to know something, then it IS important and it deserves to be answered. Some of us have turkeys as pets and others raise turkeys for consumption. We respect everyone's individuality as it relates to why they raise turkeys.

If you can't find the answer that you need here, please feel free to start a thread and ask your question. Someone is always on and your question will be answered as soon as we can.

NOTE: If you have an EMERGENCY and your question has not been answered due to one of us not being on BYC at that time or within 24 hours or you posting your medical emergency question, please feel free to PM me or any other of the turkey person that you see who posts often and regular on the turkey thread. We want to help everyone who posts a question. We may not see your posts for whatever reason and we do not want you to feel that we are ignoring you.

Last edited:
goodpost.gif
You rock Kuntry Girl

Hi. I have a question. If you get a new Tom turkey who is older, almost 2, do you need to cage them like a chicken so they don't run off? If so, about how long? I have a hen who seems to be dying for him to come out. She lays next to his cage and watches him a lot. Lol Its so cute!

Hi. I have a question. If you get a new Tom turkey who is older, almost 2, do you need to cage them like a chicken so they don't run off? If so, about how long? I have a hen who seems to be dying for him to come out. She lays next to his cage and watches him a lot. Lol Its so cute!

If I were you, yes I would keep him locked up for a couple of weeks. And if your hen is dying for him to come out, I know that he is dying to get out to meet his new bride, so he won't be running off. How long has your Tom been in his cage?

I
If I were you, yes I would keep him locked up for a couple of weeks. And if your hen is dying for him to come out, I know that he is dying to get out to meet his new bride, so he won't be running off. How long has your Tom been in his cage?

I just got him yesterday. I know the people and all their birds are very healthy, so I'm not super concerned with quarantine, I just don't want him running away. Lol My hen just started laying a few weeks ago, this will be her 1st Spring, so I guess that's y she is so curious. :)

Back
Top Bottom