Turkeys and Tylan 50 dosage

Trampmom

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 1, 2019
Coopersville, Michigan
Hi, I'm new, but have read posts from this site many times for advice.

I have 3 turkeys- about 11 months old. One broad breasted white hen and 2 bb bronze toms.

Yesterday I went out to clean up and everyone was fine. Two hours later I heard a bunch of fussing. All 3 were having a fight with each other (this is VERY uncommon), and the 2 toms had crooked necks- one was far worse than the other. And he seemed to also have some difficulty walking.
He is the dominant male, but seemed to be getting picked on the most. The fighting was basically a lot of pushing around and biting the skin on the head.

They all made it into their coop on their own for the night. When I went out to shut their door for the night, I specifically listened for breathing problems and didn't hear anything unusual.

Today when I let them out, the worse one seemed only slightly better, and the other seemed a lot better.

I read a whole bunch of threads on this site this morning and thought I would try vitamins and electrolytes in their water, and also the Tylan 50, in case they do have a respiratory infection. I recently started using a smaller type of shavings which seem dusty, which now I feel like that was a mistake. I'm not sure if that could have caused it.

I'm not able to give them injections, but I could squirt it in the mouth, or put it in the water bowls.

So here are my questions:
The Tylan 50 is not powder. Can I still use this orally?
If so, how much? Last fall the hen was 30 pounds and the toms were each 50 pounds, but I'm not sure I could get their current weight very easily now!

Also, I have a tiny, 13 year old bantam chicken hen who has been in my basement for about a week due to weather. She's bored to death and wants to go back outside. Is it safe to put her back in with them? By the way, she is the dominant bird. Those turkeys are so scared of her. It's hilarious!
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi, I'm new, but have read posts from this site many times for advice.

I have 3 turkeys- about 11 months old. One broad breasted white hen and 2 bb bronze toms.

Yesterday I went out to clean up and everyone was fine. Two hours later I heard a bunch of fussing. All 3 were having a fight with each other (this is VERY uncommon), and the 2 toms had crooked necks- one was far worse than the other. And he seemed to also have some difficulty walking.
He is the dominant male, but seemed to be getting picked on the most. The fighting was basically a lot of pushing around and biting the skin on the head.

They all made it into their coop on their own for the night. When I went out to shut their door for the night, I specifically listened for breathing problems and didn't hear anything unusual.

Today when I let them out, the worse one seemed only slightly better, and the other seemed a lot better.

I read a whole bunch of threads on this site this morning and thought I would try vitamins and electrolytes in their water, and also the Tylan 50, in case they do have a respiratory infection. I recently started using a smaller type of shavings which seem dusty, which now I feel like that was a mistake. I'm not sure if that could have caused it.

I'm not able to give them injections, but I could squirt it in the mouth, or put it in the water bowls.

So here are my questions:
The Tylan 50 is not powder. Can I still use this orally?
If so, how much? Last fall the hen was 30 pounds and the toms were each 50 pounds, but I'm not sure I could get their current weight very easily now!

Also, I have a tiny, 13 year old bantam chicken hen who has been in my basement for about a week due to weather. She's bored to death and wants to go back outside. Is it safe to put her back in with them? By the way, she is the dominant bird. Those turkeys are so scared of her. It's hilarious!
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Normal injuries that occur during turkey fights do not require any treatment at all. If they sprained their necks, it is highly unlikely that anything other than something for pain relief would be of any help.

For information regarding Tylan use, you can search through posts made by @casportpony as she has posted the information many times.

For your bantam, observe everyone's behavior when you take her out and use your observations to decide whether it is okay to let her be with them. Very frequently returning a previous flock member to the flock can cause all kinds of pecking order issues.

Normal injuries that occur during turkey fights do not require any treatment at all. If they sprained their necks, it is highly unlikely that anything other than something for pain relief would be of any help.

For information regarding Tylan use, you can search through posts made by @casportpony as she has posted the information many times.

For your bantam, observe everyone's behavior when you take her out and use your observations to decide whether it is okay to let her be with them. Very frequently returning a previous flock member to the flock can cause all kinds of pecking order issues.
Thank you for your quick response. I feel like it's not an injury because his neck looks just like the pictures other people had posted of crooked neck. BUT, since this is the first time I've ever raised turkeys, I wanted advice from the experienced people here! This group got me successfully through a nasty case of screw worms!

I will keep a close eye on him. I would rather it be an injury instead of an infection.

And my little hen reclaims her top spot every time

Back
Top Bottom