Turkeys For 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get some day old Eastern Wilds, maybe a couple more Royal Palms. I don't have a tom, so I'll have to buy poults.

Up until this year I always had bronze - I didn't think the whites were very attractive to live with. I always started out with 15 birds, but lost a third to half of my flock to raccoons. This year, I raised a few whites and three Bourbons for a total of 15, and lost none of them: I was turkey rich.
The Bourbons were my favorite to have around. They jumped, flew and got into more mischief than all the others - I liked having them around. I had to tell guests to park down the driveway a bit because the goofy Bourbons might jump on their car or truck. The only issue I had with the Bourbons is that they don't get very large in the short time I keep them - one hen was only six pounds dressed. I was tempted to keep the bourbons over winter, but I don't have adequate housing for them for our harsh winters.
Next year I might go heavier on the whites, but fewer in total. I gave away 8 turkeys this year, so those people will likely want one next year. The problem is I have a bit over $800.00 invested in them when all is said and done, so I may have to say no to a few people if I raise fewer. Fortunately I have six months or so to decide.
I like having a variety of critters running about the yard. The variety makes summer much more enjoyable for me.

My car still has muddy foot prints from the turkeys looking in the windsheld!!

I started with a pair about 2 years ago; Bourbon reds. THey love to visit with people who come here--I watch people reach out to pat them and others keep scooting away! lol This year I added a few from POrters: Auburns, Narrigansetts and Sweetgrass. Each pretty and interesting. THey all live togther with some of my BR poults and I"m not seeing much behavioral differences yet.

Auburns are very rare according to Porters. NOt APA but then most turkeys are not. Look much like bourbon reds at this age ( 3 mo) but with out white in the tail and wing. A barred blk and white wing instead.

My girls have stopped laying as we head into winter here in the Northeast. A local wonam gets eggs early, in late winter as she has a big heated barn. Love the idea but makes me nervous = what if the power is out for an extended time.

I still have a few people asking for turkeys; misc requests because they lost one of two and need a buddy. I think next year I would like to hatch earlier in the spring and not after the fourth of July. People are funny about prices; they will pay $15 for a 1-4 week poult but object to a 5 month old with lots of expensive feed in him for a little more. Feed prices have almost doubled in a few years and this will impact what I raise. TUrkeys IMO are not as resourceful in forageing compared to my chickens.

ANyone want to share on how to decrease the feed bill?

Up until this year I always had bronze - I didn't think the whites were very attractive to live with. I always started out with 15 birds, but  lost a third to half of my flock to raccoons. This year, I raised a few whites and three Bourbons for a total of 15, and lost none of them: I was turkey rich.
The Bourbons were my favorite to have around. They jumped, flew and got into more mischief than all the others - I liked having them around. I had to tell guests to park down the driveway a bit because the goofy Bourbons might jump on their car or truck. The only issue I had with the Bourbons is that they don't get very large in the short time I keep them - one hen was only six pounds dressed. I was tempted to keep the bourbons over winter, but I don't have adequate housing for them for our harsh winters.
Next year I might go heavier on the whites, but fewer in total. I gave away 8 turkeys this year, so those people will likely want one next year. The problem is I have a bit over $800.00 invested in them when all is said and done, so I may have to say no to a few people if I raise fewer. Fortunately I have six months or so to decide.
I like having a variety of critters running about the yard. The variety makes summer much more enjoyable for me.

So the white's weren't attractive? :( The look so pretty in pics. I guess I better scratch them off my list. You definitely have a lot invested in your turkeys. :eek: I enjoy having a variety of critters as well. :)

I started with a pair about 2 years ago; Bourbon reds.  THey love to visit with people who come here--I watch people reach out to pat them and others keep scooting away! lol This year I added a few from POrters: Auburns, Narrigansetts and Sweetgrass.  Each pretty and interesting. THey all live togther with some of my BR poults and I"m  not seeing much behavioral differences yet. 

Auburns are very rare according to Porters. NOt APA but then most turkeys are not. Look much like bourbon reds at this age ( 3 mo) but with out white in the tail and wing.  A barred blk and white wing instead. 

My girls have stopped laying as we head into winter here in the Northeast. A local wonam gets eggs early, in late winter as she has a big heated barn. Love the idea but makes me nervous = what if the power is out for an extended time. 

I still have a few people asking for turkeys; misc requests because they lost one of two and need a buddy. I think next year I would like to hatch earlier in the spring and not after the fourth  of July. People are funny about prices; they will pay $15 for a 1-4 week poult but object to a 5 month old with lots of expensive feed in him for a little more.  Feed prices have almost doubled in a few years and this will impact what I raise. TUrkeys IMO are not as resourceful in forageing compared to my chickens. 

How cold is it there? I have been getting turkey eggs for 2 weeks now and I don't have a heated barn or added lights. Those turkey egg omelets were delicious. :drool Next week will probably be the week I start collecting to either sell of put in the incubator.

I am finding out that a lot of people are losing their turkeys on this end as well. They are losing them to predators or to just being sick. I could literally double the price of a turkey and they would pay for it but I won't do that.

I was lucky enough to find a feed mill (1 hour away) that makes their own feed on a daily basis. You can't really buy in bulk - so to speak, but the 50lb bags of feed are cheaper than any feed store around. I am buying 50lb bags of 26% protein Game Bird Feed pellets for $14.95. I have been stocking up and filling up the back of the pickup truck when I go. Their cracked corn is only $10.95 for a 50lb bag.

What are you feeding your turkeys?

Quote: I buy from a mill about an hour away. THey charge a per bag deilvery fee; used to be 50 cents a bag, now it is $1.50 a bag. My truck is kaput and they deliver to my area anyways so that is the cheapest I can get. 22% prot is about $16.50 -$17 for turkey feed. Fluctuates weekly. Cracked corn is $13.50 These are direct from the mill prices, otherwise add on 2-4 dollars more.

I have been considering making a simple silo, not really so simple as it must have plenty of stuctural strength, to hold bulk deliveries. I just don't know which single grain to invest in for all the critters. One day the lady that handles the incoming call orders joked that she would have to kill me if she told me the formulas. But they will custom blend grains for a minimum of 3Tons; SHeep are the biggest problem as they cannot have copper. I've have down sized the flock so maybe I can live with buying a few bags for them if I can get a single grain that will cover poultry( turkeys, ducks and chickens) and horses.

I started with a pair about 2 years ago; Bourbon reds.  THey love to visit with people who come here--I watch people reach out to pat them and others keep scooting away! lol This year I added a few from POrters: Auburns, Narrigansetts and Sweetgrass.  Each pretty and interesting. THey all live togther with some of my BR poults and I"m  not seeing much behavioral differences yet. 

Auburns are very rare according to Porters. NOt APA but then most turkeys are not. Look much like bourbon reds at this age ( 3 mo) but with out white in the tail and wing.  A barred blk and white wing instead. 

I still have a few people asking for turkeys; misc requests because they lost one of two and need a buddy. I think next year I would like to hatch earlier in the spring and not after the fourth  of July. People are funny about prices; they will pay $15 for a 1-4 week poult but object to a 5 month old with lots of expensive feed in him for a little more.  Feed prices have almost doubled in a few years and this will impact what I raise. TUrkeys IMO are not as resourceful in forageing compared to my chickens. 

How cold is it there? I have been getting turkey eggs for 2 weeks now and I don't have a heated barn or added lights. Those turkey egg omelets were delicious. :drool Next week will probably be the week I start collecting to either sell of put in the incubator.

I am finding out that a lot of people are losing their turkeys on this end as well. They are losing them to predators or to just being sick. I could literally double the price of a turkey and they would pay for it but I won't do that.

I was lucky enough to find a feed mill (1 hour away) that makes their own feed on a daily basis. You can't really buy in bulk - so to speak, but the 50lb bags of feed are cheaper than any feed store around. I am buying 50lb bags of 26% protein Game Bird Feed pellets for $14.95. I have been stocking up and filling up the back of the pickup truck when I go. Their cracked corn is only $10.95 for a 50lb bag.

What are you feeding your turkeys?

I buy from a mill about an hour away. THey charge a per bag deilvery fee; used to be 50 cents a bag, now it is $1.50 a bag. My truck is kaput and they deliver to my area anyways so that is the cheapest I can get. 22% prot is about $16.50 -$17 for turkey feed. Fluctuates weekly.  Cracked corn is $13.50 These are direct from the mill prices, otherwise add on 2-4 dollars more. 

I have been considering making a simple silo, not really so simple as it must have plenty of stuctural strength, to hold bulk deliveries. I just don't know which single grain to invest in for all the critters.  One day the lady that handles the incoming call orders joked that she would have to kill me if she told me the formulas. But they will custom blend grains for a minimum of 3Tons; SHeep are the biggest problem as they cannot have copper. I've have down sized the flock so maybe I can live with buying a few bags for them if I can get a single grain that will cover poultry( turkeys, ducks and chickens) and horses.

Making a silo? NICE!!!! I bet you can do it and make your own feed. That would be awesome. I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom