Turkeys w/respiratory infection not responding to antibiotics. Help!

Iheartcritters

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2022
Hello,

I need help, please! I have a small flock of chickens and two Bronze turkeys that are 6 months old. I thought they had CRD and got advice from a guy who runs a feed store. He recommended .5 cc Bio Mycin injected over daily for 3 days. We did this and they got worse. After 6 days he recommended trying it again for 3 more days. We just finished the second round tonight, but I can tell this medicine is not helping. We are also adding VetRx to their food and water and rubbing it on their heads. I just added Rooster Booster to their water today.

They cough, wheeze, have runny noses, extremely swollen sinuses and I know for a fact the male has mites. Not sure if that makes a difference, but thought it was worth noting. I figure if he has them they probably all do. I can just see them on him when he fans his tail.

Also, we had a few chickens who were coughing and they did seem to respond well to the medicine.

Additionally, we had a few chickens and the girl turkey all go through a week or two of limping. All have recovered from the limping except one rooster.

We feed them All Flock and some grains and some fruits/vegetables. We try to keep their coops clean and they free range.

I don’t know what I’m the world is going on, but I’m afraid these turkeys will die if I can’t help them. I’ve read so much over the last month that I’m confused and don’t know how to help them.

They otherwise seem ok as they eat and drink plenty.

I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Amanda

Attachments

• CA73B952-B623-4E00-9592-45316EA58916.jpeg
    CA73B952-B623-4E00-9592-45316EA58916.jpeg
    615.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thank you. I read about Tylan and spoke with a knowledgeable employee at TS. She said it was a good drug for them and looked up dosages. They are almost done with this round and finally showing marked improvement.

Hi! I really appreciate your post. I’ve been treating our turkeys for the same thing with oxytetracycline and oregano oil and there hasn’t been any improvement. Where did you buy the Tylan and can it be added to their water?

Hi! I really appreciate your post. I’ve been treating our turkeys for the same thing with oxytetracycline and oregano oil and there hasn’t been any improvement. Where did you buy the Tylan and can it be added to their water?
Tylan has made all the difference! I bought mine at Tractor Supply. It is advised to either inject or administer orally, not diluted in water.

Once I got past a few days of shots and got some better advice on how do do them, I opted to inject over giving orally. My DH holds them still for me while I inject just about 1/4” under the skin of the breast area. Part the feathers so you can see the skin. Get rid of air bubbles in the syringe first.

Dosage for chickens is .5 ml for 5 lb bird, so I initially began with 1.5 ml for our turkeys and upped it to 2.0 ml after 2 days after seeing no improvement. Ours are Bronze turkeys, 6 months old and huge. 2ml seemed to do the trick. They are much better!

If you give shots, get 22 gauge needles that are 3/4” long.

Back
Top Bottom