Turkeys with Chickens?

chknman79

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Crossville,TN
I now have 17 chickens and would like to, sometime in the future, get a pair of turkeys. Do turkeys need to be separated from the chickens or can they just be ran together? My birds can't be "free ranged" but do have a large run to be in all day long. I think having a pair of Eastern Turkeys would be the coolest!

I had heard that but wasn't sure. i would hate to spend the money on turkeys and then them kill my chickens or vice versa. Do you raise turkeys or jsut own a few?

i do try to raise them.but i let the hens set the eggs themselves.an have yet for them to hatchout any poults.i have a hen setting now.she is setting on 12 eggs last count i had.ive noticed if the eggs are bad the hens get rid of the eggs.

the only concern with raising turkeys and chickens together is the threat of Black Head disease. I had my turkeys and chickens together, but called the Local Agriculture department, to see how prevalant Black head disease was in my area. Our area has never had an outbreak, and like the guy on the phone said, as long as you practice good hygiene with the birds,a nd have them on a Worming program they should be fine. Black head disease is more prevalant in Europe, but there have been a few cases in the US.

I agree i keep mine together
big_smile.png
for 8 yrs now

Back
Top Bottom