Turkey in the coop

Nibs19

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
Curious if I could raise a turkey in my chicken coop with my chickens? I have a decent sized coop and run but birds mainly free range all no snow months

What’s your thoughts or concerns with raising a few turkeys with chickens? Reading mixed reviews online

Thanks

Curious if I could raise a turkey in my chicken coop with my chickens? I have a decent sized coop and run but birds mainly free range all no snow months

What’s your thoughts or concerns with raising a few turkeys with chickens? Reading mixed reviews online

Thanks
Turkeys should not be raised alone unless your sole purpose is to process them as soon as they are big enough. They are very social birds and need other turkeys for companionship.

Turkey poults are very easy to imprint. One of the reasons a poult should not be raised with chickens is that the imprinting causes the turkey to not be able to understand that chickens are not turkeys. This can end very badly for the chickens once the turkey reaches mature size and starts treating the chickens the same way it would treat other turkeys.

Turkey poults require a high protein turkey or game bird starter that has the higher levels of protein, lysine, methionine and niacin they needed for proper growth and development.

Back
Top Bottom