Turkeys...

Djmiller012

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 31, 2007
Tabor, IA
I as online at another forum and I had told them I had gotten a baby turkey, and they had mentioned they are very mean..anyone out there that has first hand experience? Thankyou!

Ive raised about every breed of turkey you can emagine.
They really arnt that mean and to the breed will have a temperment too
About the only time they will act up is during the laying season, and thats only if you have a bunch of Toms and few hens.
Watch your chicks close, they are Dumb as rocks, if there is a storm they will pyle and if they are outside they will drown themselves.
Hope this helped

ive had bourbon red toms .an they wasnt mean.just big old toms an i mean big.now i have 8 blue slate turkeys.5 toms an 3 hens.an they arnt mean either.but they do fight all the time during laying season.then calm down in the fall.

Thanks for the answers, because when I hold mine, he is as sweet as pumpkin pie! Just falls right asleep!
love.gif

When I was casing out the local feed store looking at the chicks and such, they had some BB bronze and white poults. I have never seen baby turkeys before. They reminded me of those dinosaurs from Jurassic Park ha ha. Well they were pretty aggressive and went to pecking at my fingers pretty good, more so than the chicks. One lady told me they were just really curious.

I have Bronze turkeys and let me tell you my Tom is so aggressive it's not funny! It's a good thing that I've had him since a chick and know how to handle him when he's being ornery! A good bonk on the head when he tries to come at me and he leaves me alone.

My neighbor raises turkeys. They say they are only "mean" in breeding season. I know when I go over tere, the toms talk to me. its pretty funny, after I say something they make noises, like they are talking to me.

hi
I have found turkeys to be nasty WHEN i put a younger(smaller) turkey in with them, or if a chicken should get into their pen,its pretty much all over for mr chicken:(,other than that I have no problem at all with them
mr.norm
monroe tenessee

Back
Top Bottom