Turkey tunnel ?

B1rd Buddy

Hatching
Apr 6, 2024
I am planning to make a turkey tunnel. My search doesn't come up with a single mention of such a thing anywhere in the Googleverse. Am I overlooking some obvious reason why no one does this? I am raising my first pair of poults in the brooder at the moment.

I am planning to make a turkey tunnel. My search doesn't come up with a single mention of such a thing anywhere in the Googleverse. Am I overlooking some obvious reason why no one does this? I am raising my first pair of poults in the brooder at the moment.
You could make one:
Chicken Tunnel

Chicken Tunnel

WINTER IS COMING Fall is here and it's time to start prepping the garden for winter. To help in the work involved I have enlisted my Golden Comets. The challenge I faced was how to allow the chickens safe and consistent access to the garden that is on the other side of the yard. My solution...

That would be a large tunnel.

Poultry tend to find novel to commit suicide. I was looking for a missing one when I came home from a feed run.... and finally found in the poultry wire fence....it hanging by it's wings like a Gothic fallen angel . How the heck he managed it I don't know.

You could make one:
Chicken Tunnel

Chicken Tunnel

WINTER IS COMING Fall is here and it's time to start prepping the garden for winter. To help in the work involved I have enlisted my Golden Comets. The challenge I faced was how to allow the chickens safe and consistent access to the garden that is on the other side of the yard. My solution...
Again, why? It's not something that turkeys would take to. They would far rather fly over such an obstacle than crawl through it.

Again, why? It's not something that turkeys would take to. They would far rather fly over such an obstacle than crawl through it.
I had a bad raccoon attack on my chickens and had to start over. So in addition to reinforcing the coop, I was brainstorming ways to allow my new brooder tenants to free range without having to be watched constantly.

Besides the raccoon massacre, I had a hawk (or eagle) going after my chickens; heard commotion and arrived in the nick of time to see it flying away "empty-handed." Last year in broad daylight about 75 yards from me, a coyote lunged at them as they free-ranged at the edge of the woods. I scared it off and none was hurt.

Since my post, I've built a fenced-in turkey pen. The storage area of my coop is a safe haven. They have a door to get out and rest under a covered overhang and a third zone of sunny roosting space. Under construction, the outside roosting area is 8'x10' and 8' high. There will be a 3 foot high 1/2" steel mesh along the bottom with a 2-ft apron and an electric fence.
20240428_103344.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom