Tweaking Janoel HU and Hd settings...

easterbun

Songster
May 27, 2008
TX
I know the manual says these values are set by the factory and not to mess with them, but I got myself a bluetooth temperature/humidity sensor specifically for it's data logging capability without having to run cables inside the incubator, and I was seeing some pretty wide temperature variations as the controller turned on and off the heating element - much wider than I would prefer to see. It seemed like the temperature controller was basically cycling too infrequently, and allowing the temperature to go a fair amount above/below the set point.. it also meant calibrating the thermostat was very difficult, as at any given point the temperature I was reading on another thermometer could be "way off" compared to where the temperature was actually set, while the average temp was actually not too far off. The top graph with the wider "wave" pattern is the temperature, the bottom is humidity, which with a humidity controller and an ultrasonic humidifier is kept in a fairly tight range (set point while I am testing this is 45%, it has stayed within 2% of that most of the time - it also recovers super fast from taking the lid off and messing with anything inside). Temperature has ranged from 99.32˚ up to 100.76˚ with an average of 100.16˚ - that's almost a degree and a half of variance in ˚F (or .8˚C), using the default HU and Hd settings for a Janoel24 (35 and 40, respectively).

IMG_9003.PNG

Just to see what would happen overnight, I turned the Hd setting down to 10 (and changed nothing else), since I suspected that this may be the setting that controls how frequently the controller cycles, and to my surprise the result was much closer to what I am looking for.... with a much "flatter" graph (it seems taller because of the scaling, but it's flat compared to the previous wave pattern). The actual values are way off from the set point, almost a full degree lower (which is okay, CA can adjust for that) with an average temp of 99.35˚, but the range is MUCH tighter now... from 99.32˚ to 99.5˚, or less than .2˚F variance - in reality the ˚F values are calculated so this is really just .1˚C - this is more like what I am after, the wider range just didn't seem safe with such large swings in temperature.

IMG_9002.PNG

I guess the point of this post - does anyone out there actually know what these settings SHOULD do? I saw some chatter about how turning both down could be useful in warmer climates (where the incubator tends to overheat) but nothing specifically about what each setting does.

Back
Top Bottom