twitchy chicken

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Here's a weird one.....we have a cream legbar who has always had a head twitch. We have had her now for two years and she has had it ever since she was young. She is perfectly healthy, lays daily, great coloring in her comb so she is not sick but it almost seems like she has a "tick" or like Tourette's or something. Has anyone else had a chicken with a twitch? She just shakes her head almost like someone who just came out of a swimming pool - like a quick shake of the head and her wattle goes flying. It is very quirky and funny.

Here's a weird one.....we have a cream legbar who has always had a head twitch. We have had her now for two years and she has had it ever since she was young. She is perfectly healthy, lays daily, great coloring in her comb so she is not sick but it almost seems like she has a "tick" or like Tourette's or something. Has anyone else had a chicken with a twitch? She just shakes her head almost like someone who just came out of a swimming pool - like a quick shake of the head and her wattle goes flying. It is very quirky and funny.
YES! I have a silkie hen like that. She's not quite a year. She's had that since she was a chick who I got from a breeder.

Being a silkie who are prone to vitamin deficiencies, I did the Vit. E/scrambled egg regiment for a couple of weeks and saw no change. When she got older, like around a month ago, I tried it again, this time a whole 400 i.u. Vit E w/scrambled eggs. I did that for a week and not a single change. I kept going another week, nope.

I guess some of our chickens just have to be different.

If they just develop that when older though, it can be a sign of mites or an ear infection or maybe other things. Both yours and mine just do it for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom