Young Cream Legbar Not Laying

browngd

Chirping
Dec 4, 2023
Berkeley Springs, WV
We bought all of our chickens between June 7, 2023 - July 21, 2023. Almost all have started laying except our Ameracuana's and Copper Maran and the Cream Legbar. The Cream Legbar was purchased around June 20th and it's not yet laying even though ones we got after are laying. I have read that the Cream Legbars don't lay as well in the winter months. We live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV and we have already had temps in the low 20's. Could it be that she has reached laying age but due to the weather has yet not started to lay. We know the Cream Legbar's and the Ameracuana's lay blue eggs, but no blue eggs yet. Could it be maybe it's laying but the eggs are a different color? Anyone have any advice or input? Thanks!

How old is this bird, in months?
Pics might help as to whether it is a CLB or not and it's laying status.
On December 20th, she will be approx. 6 months of age. Here are some pics and thanks for your help! We have noticed that she doesn't seem to be as active as our other hens. Not sure if this is just there temperament or if something could be wrong. Also, she doesn't seem to be nearly as large as other hens her same age. Is this breed a bit smaller? Our CLB Roo is massive though! I have also included a pic of him although you can't quite judge his size from the pic. His pic is the last one.

CLB2.jpeg

CLB3.jpeg

CLB5.jpeg

CLB6.jpeg

CLB-Roo1.jpeg

I have four cream legbar hens, all of which quit laying about eight weeks ago when they started their winter molt. Three of them are on the petite side, one is rather large, in fact she's bigger than the legar roo and easily the biggest hen in the flock. The girls are 15 months old and the roo is 7 months.

The only ones that have laid since the fall are a couple of my olive eggers that started up again for a few weeks after they finished molting. As of this week they may have closed up shop for the winter, too.

I have four cream legbar hens, all of which quit laying about eight weeks ago when they started their winter molt. Three of them are on the petite side, one is rather large, in fact she's bigger than the legar roo and easily the biggest hen in the flock. The girls are 15 months old and the roo is 7 months.

The only ones that have laid since the fall are a couple of my olive eggers that started up again for a few weeks after they finished molting. As of this week they may have closed up shop for the winter, too.
These birds are only 6 months old, so not going thru an adult molt like yours are.

I have 10 new birds EE, OE and Welsummers that are 6 months old and only 5 (2 EE 2 OE and 1 Welsummer) are laying. They are in a greenhouse with transparent walls and get the natural daily cycle of Sunlight.

I have heard that due to light requirements and it also being Winter, birds that may mathematically come into lay during the Winter, will sometimes wait until Spring for more light and better conditions. I believe I read that from the Chicken Chick.

So here's to waiting until Spring... But for the record the 1 (of 4) Welsummers came into Lay 12/2/23.

On another note, 7 years ago, I did have a black copper maran that never laid. We chose to be patient, we let her live 2.5 years with her sisters. When we butchered her we found that her ovary was atrophied.

We bought all of our chickens between June 7, 2023 - July 21, 2023. Almost all have started laying except our Ameracuana's and Copper Maran and the Cream Legbar. The Cream Legbar was purchased around June 20th and it's not yet laying even though ones we got after are laying. I have read that the Cream Legbars don't lay as well in the winter months. We live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV and we have already had temps in the low 20's. Could it be that she has reached laying age but due to the weather has yet not started to lay. We know the Cream Legbar's and the Ameracuana's lay blue eggs, but no blue eggs yet. Could it be maybe it's laying but the eggs are a different color? Anyone have any advice or input? Thanks!
I am having the exact same problem. I am so disgusted. I had no idea they dont lay well in winter. I had these years ago never experienced this. bought from TSC. One started to lay nothing but rubber eggs then egg bound she died. Feed not the issue. i am thinking about selling these or getting rid of. This is so dam crazy. Right now i am hatching eggs. I will give it one more month. I can show pics . I am in southern AL hour north of Pensacola. My other birds laying fine. I will never buy this breed again or hatch eggs from them. UGH...........

Back
Top Bottom