Cream Legbars not laying!!

Olive_Egger

Chirping
May 27, 2021
We got our chicks in late april, and three of them (2 Cream Legbars, 1 Brahma) haven’t started laying. I’m less concerned about the brahma since from my experience they’re just plain weird and do whatever they feel like. The legbars, though? My last one did a great job of laying and was the first or second to start. Based on what I’ve found, my current 2 are 2-3 months late. Should I be concerned?
Just for fun here’s a photo of the girls in question.

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpeg
    IMG_3401.jpeg
    338.6 KB · Views: 37
In that picture, the one on the right looks like she is either getting very close to laying or is already laying, just judging by the size of that comb. Do they free-range at all? I wonder if it's possible that she's hiding a nest somewhere and that's why you aren't finding any eggs from her. You could try keeping them in their coop for a few days and see if that encourages her to lay in there. Another thought, have you dug in your nest box material to see if there's evidence of eggs being broken in there? That could also explain the lack of eggs.

If they're otherwise acting normal, then delayed egg laying is not something I would worry about, personally. Beautiful girls!

This is the second "my cream legbars aren't laying" post I've seen this week, so I'm going to go ahead and say this breed is just a bunch of freeloaders! 😉

I suppose the snuggles make up for it. What a sweet photo.

Give it till Spring. Chickens lay like crazy in March. I know feed is pricey. But, you could spare her and let her freerange. When she produces you'll be pleasantly
surprised. If I was closer to you. (I'm in mid Texas) I'd take her in. And For the record 8/10 new birds are laying now. BUt I do have lights in my coop. from 4:30pm till 8:00pm. It helps. I am getting 12-15+ eggs per day from 29 hens, ) +2 roos and a Guinea.

Back
Top Bottom