Two and 1/2 month old Silkie Chicks - Gender?

wilsonloria

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Tomball, Texas

I have a little flock of 14 Silkie chicks who are 2-1/2 months old. I believe this guy is a rooster, but I have several others who have a purplish nose (not sure of the term) and is getting what I believe are wattles. Are these all roosters with these characteristics? I know this one is because he is trying to crow (and OH what a horrible noise he is making - sounds nothing like a rooster crow!). Does the purplish nose and wattles mean they are male? If I have multiple roosters, what do I do? They have a coop and a medium sized run and I let them free range under supervision every evening. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

All silkies have bluish or purpleish beaks and skin on their faces, but only roosters have that purple walnut comb. All roosters have to learn to crow properly and it takes them a little time. They can sound pretty bad at first, like Brittany Spears without all the equipment.
gig.gif

All silkies have bluish or purpleish beaks and skin on their faces, but only roosters have that purple walnut comb. All roosters have to learn to crow properly and it takes them a little time. They can sound pretty bad at first, like Brittany Spears without all the equipment.
gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

He's a real sweetie too. Hops up on my chair and hangs out with me. If course I'm SURE it's not the dried meal worms I hand feed him......

Yeah, thats positive rooster. He has a nice comb, but a breeder wont buy him because he isnt bearded. If you have multiple silkie roosters, there shouldnt be a problem. If you have large roosters, I would introduce them so they get familiar. (They will fight for a while, even silkie roos, but it is just a pecking order. ) if fighting is here and there everyday for a few days, dont worry, but if its a lot everday and for a while, I would not plan to keep him.

My silkie lives with a rooster twice his size (but younger) and the silkie is king. But now that he is getting older, the other one picks on him here and there...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom