Two broodies hatching together

SJensen

Songster
14 Years
Jul 29, 2009
South Surrey
One hen started out brooding four eggs. Then another hen -- the one on the left -- a notorious broody, stole an egg and started brooding in the adjacent nest box. So we divided the eggs between them.

Now it is hatch day and the chicks are already swapping mothers. The one on the right has two chicks and still an unhatched egg underneath. How common is it for hens to cooperate raising their chicks? Anyone had problems with this kind of scenario?

I had it happen a few months ago. The moms kind of split the babies during the day and watched over everyone. At night, they seemed to know which babies belonged to them (or the babies knew where to go) and it worked out pretty well.

Then one momma died, and the other had decided not to be a momma and it all went to heck. I had to separate the babies from the rest of the flock. Now my second momma wants to mother again. So here we go!

That's encouraging -- except the part about one hen dying.... Anyhow, we'll see today if they'll both take care of the chicks -- fingers crossed!

Update: two mother hens are better than one so far. We've decided to let the little family free range in our backyard. Two protective mother hens and only three chicks seems pretty safe.

Back
Top Bottom