Two guinea hens with swollen feet - maybe gout?

I've been thinking of possible causes, and we did change their diet for a while when we added some new young birds to the flock. They've all been eating chick starter for a while, and we just recently switched back to layer feed because the young ones started laying. Was the diet change possibly the cause? And is it possible it'll just go away now that they're back on their regular feed?

I'm honestly not sure how to get them to take sour cherry extract, so I'm hoping there's something else I can do.

Also, do I need to separate these two from the others?

The tart cherry extract comes in capsules, which you can find in Walmart and other stores that sell vitamins and supplements. You could probably mix it into a small amount of wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, or canned cat food.

I have fed both layer feed to non-layers and 20% flock raiserto my flock for years, and have never seen a case of gout. They can be many possible causes of articular gout,including infetcious bronchitis virus, too much salt or sodium, feeding 30% protein for long periods, running out of water and dehydration, and others. Here is a good article about the types of gout and causes:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry

Back
Top Bottom