Two lumps on each side of hens abdomin

Chicklove4ever

Songster
May 17, 2020
Hi i hope someone could help me out i have a 2 year old bantam silkie mix hen,That got super thin in like two days hardly eating and really lathargic so i checked her out and there seems to be two lumps that just formed feel like little baloons on both side of her adomin.Its were the gizard or intestans are she has one wing out wile she lays there she seem exited for food for a sec when i put it infront of her but she will only take a bite.She is not egg bound i checked im really dont what i should do.What it could be and i worry she wont make it.

Without labs or necropsy to confirm that your bird has Marek's disease, I would not assume it was that. I have Marek's disease in my flock and colloidal silver has not helped any of my birds in any way, Marek's or not. There is no real treatment for Marek's, I've seen other threads with other treatments or 'cures', but they are always birds from flocks in which Marek's has not been confirmed. I think it's more likely that something else was going on. Knowing how Marek's progresses, I am very skeptical that anything, even if it was effective, would result in a miraculous full recovery after only a few days. With an annual global cost in losses of around 2 billion dollars a year in the poultry industry, from Marek's, I think if colloidal silver was a cure, everyone would be shouting it from rooftops. Most of the articles that suggest it works, are written by sellers of colloidal silver. Marek's disease suppresses a birds immune system, so anything that can strengthen their immune system can help with survival. Even scientists still do not currently know exactly why the virus does what it does, so viable treatments are still not available. I'm very happy for you that your birds have recovered, sincerely. I really don't believe it's likely that it was, or is, Marek's. Birds can manifest neuromuscular symptoms from many causes.

Are the lumps hard or soft? Do they feel like air, fluid, etc? Will they show in a picture? Can you take a picture and point to where the lumps are in the picture?
Is she having trouble breatheing? Do you know when she last laid?

Are the lumps hard or soft? Do they feel like air, fluid, etc? Will they show in a picture? Can you take a picture and point to where the lumps are in the picture?
It would be really hard to take a foto of the area because they are right in between her legs on her stomach part you cant see them but when i touch them they are squishy.Shes not having any trouble breathing.Her symptoms are eating veary little but drinking alot,shes veary alert but doesnt move much, her wings are drooping and she has dark green diarrhea.

Last edited:
Her wings are veary droopy You can feel she is so skinny! 😱 she doesnt seem in pain when i press them, they are squishy and go in but when i release presure they come back out. You cant see them but you can feel them right in between her legs. She didnt show any sighns until 2 days ago.[/QUOTE]

Is vet care an option for you? Air sacs can get ruptured and cause air to pool under the skin, and sometimes the pressure can make breathing difficult for them. Those can be released with a sterilized sewing needle to let the air out, and then they will often heal up. Sometimes it may need to be done more than once. It's not difficult, swab the area with antiseptic, pinch the skin up and stick the needle through the skin that you have pinched, so you only go through skin, if it's air, it should release it. Then put a dab of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on the stick site. The other common thing is fluid in the abdomen, called ascites. That is usually a symptom of something else going on inside, often a reproductive problem, infection, cancer, organ failure, etc. If it's fluid it can sometimes be drained, but the condition is not cured. Ascites usually shows up in the abdomen between the legs below the vent, which I'm not sure is where you are describing.

Back
Top Bottom