Two roosters, one hen... :(

Margaret1448

Hatching
Jun 24, 2016
San Fernando Valley, L.A.
Hi, Folks; I've just joined, but I've consulted you guys often: thanks!
I got my first rooster when my dogs treed the poor battered fellow in the yard. He had just convalesced enough to make himself at home in the (other!) yard, when a lost hen - also battered stumbled down the middle of our street and the couple wander happily around together to the delight of all.
Then, last week, an even MORE pathetic rooster arrived (even most of his claws have gone... :( ) and I'm currently nursing him. But WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?! I daresay he and my other rooster will be at odds. I can't have an actual flock (I've a flock of dogs), but I don't want the other poor guy to be alone.
Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!

Welcome to BYC! You could rehome him after he heals, or get a few more hens. 2 roosters would be way too hard on one hen, unless they were separated. Maybe you could have two different pens; one has the original rooster and hen and the other has this new rooster and you could get another hen. Really, one hen isn't enough for a rooster, but it might work for a while.

I wonder why you get so many lost chickens! Why can't that happen to me?!

I've considered getting another hen to take the (literal!) burden off poor Rosie, and am considering getting one for the new boy, but it's difficult to divide the yard. I also know one lady isn't enough for insatiable roosters.
I wish I COULD re-home him, but the animal shelter has a plethora of roosters: no one seems to want them. I live in the San Fernando Valley in L.A., in an area - one of few - still zoned for agriculture. Some folks have chickens and these tend to wander occasionally; I guard mine zealously! :)
Thank you so much for your suggestions; we had chickens when I was a child - deep in the previous century - and I've always liked them; I adore the happy couple. I do worry about the other guy, but at least I know I'll keep him safe and fed, regardless.
Thanks again!
Margaret

Back
Top Bottom