Jun 3, 2022
Hi there folks,

So I’m new to chicks, but not chickens in general. I recently received some day old chicks by mail. I lost a Speckled Sussex without much warning on day three after receiving them. Today makes two weeks and three days since these girls (hopefully girls) were hatched. Just a few moments ago, my daughter noticed one of the Dominiques limping a bit. Her leg appears turned out. Upon turning her over, her hock is super red and swollen. It doesn’t feel much warmer than her other leg. I feel like I can “pop” that tendon when moving it, so I really think this is the issue as opposed to a vitamin deficiency or infection. She also appears to be getting around okay. The flock has had Save A Chick probiotics in their water almost every day since we received them. They also received some Nutridrench after we lost the Speckled Sussex. I have some Durvet vitamins and electrolytes I just happened to pick up this morning, but haven’t used yet. She’s spending a bit more time under the Ecoglow than normal, I think - but eating and drinking fine. The only exception is she is using her wing to steady herself a bit when eating.

I’m thinking my next step is to make a vetrap “cast” around the leg. But I’ve gotta be honest, I have no idea what I’m doing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• D31E1134-F22E-403E-8E39-2839D89C8E6A.jpeg
    D31E1134-F22E-403E-8E39-2839D89C8E6A.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 4E84B2AB-C86C-4A93-8FF4-D3A73ADF6437.jpeg
    4E84B2AB-C86C-4A93-8FF4-D3A73ADF6437.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 1B98DA72-179B-49CC-8FDD-98958AD55F3D.jpeg
    1B98DA72-179B-49CC-8FDD-98958AD55F3D.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 19
Could she have gotten hung up in something or dropped?
If you can feel the tendon pop, it may be slipped. You can try splinting and fixing it, taking care since that joint is so swollen. Perosis is hard to heal and a lot of times treatment is unsuccessful.
I would still give her 1/4 B-Complex daily to offer leg support.

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry

Could she have gotten hung up in something or dropped?
If you can feel the tendon pop, it may be slipped. You can try splinting and fixing it, taking care since that joint is so swollen. Perosis is hard to heal and a lot of times treatment is unsuccessful.
I would still give her 1/4 B-Complex daily to offer leg support.

http://www.poultrypedia.com/poultry-podiatry
Thank you so much! And thanks for linking to the Poultrypedia. I splinted it, and she’s hanging out in a chick chair right now. I’ll definitely follow through with your recommendations. I’ve got my fingers crossed for her.

Probably not dropped, but maybe hung up? The Eco Glow cord has seemed like an issue the last few days. Even when it seems like it’s been secured and out of the way, it manages to get knocked loose again.

Thank you so much! And thanks for linking to the Poultrypedia. I splinted it, and she’s hanging out in a chick chair right now. I’ll definitely follow through with your recommendations. I’ve got my fingers crossed for her.

Probably not dropped, but maybe hung up? The Eco Glow cord has seemed like an issue the last few days. Even when it seems like it’s been secured and out of the way, it manages to get knocked loose again.
Oh, those cords can be so fiddley at times.
Hopefully the swelling will go down with her in a chair and she's not putting a lot of pressure on it.

Back
Top Bottom