Leg injury, side question

Somshine

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
So my little 9mo. old hen Caroline (actually my little chick I had to do surgery on in a previous post) has an injured leg. Pretty positive it's an injury, but not sure how she got it. I had them out free ranging and had just been talking to her and saw her moving around just fine when I was putting some scratch and rooster food out. 15 minutes later I see them picking on her and she's severely limping on one leg. I took her inside washed her foot and leg really well to inspect it very closely. No notable injuries. I felt it very carefully from the hip all the way down, could not notice a difference between that one and the other. I do not believe there is a break or dislocation. I'm hoping it's sprained or pulled or something. I have her in her own little enclosure right now so she doesn't get picked on or try to jump on or off anything. This is day three and she was hesitating to use it more than when it first happened. So I'm imagining it is pain and inflammation. I gave her a half a baby aspirin and she has definitely perked up. She'll even stand up on the good leg and straighten her toes and foot out like she wants to put it on the ground but when she does she pulls it back up like it hurts. She's eating and drinking really well and seems fine in every department except that leg. BUT She is not laying. She lays almost everyday. I know it's normal to stop at a stressful time like this. But do I need to worry about her getting blocked or becoming egg-bound? How does that work? Do they stop making eggs or do they hold them in? I'm so worried about a secondary issue now.

Last edited:
Also, I'm afraid to wrap it because I don't know what's wrong with it and I don't know what would be the best position to keep it in. Not to mention she does very gingerly use it to move around her little enclosure if she has to but I can tell it hurts. I could not find a point of sensitivity when examining it but I know chickens are sometimes very hesitant to show pain. I hope I'm making a good call by not wrapping it 🤷🏼‍♀️ earlier she kept shaking her head. I could tell something was bothering her. She kept shifting to her side and then immediately straightening herself up. Finally she stretched her good foot forward like a ballerina and smacked herself in the top of the head a few times. She was obviously trying to reach an itch but leaning on the injured leg was painful enough she had to really think about how to get that good foot out to scratch it while staying upright. This was about 15 minutes after I gave her the aspirin so I'm not sure it had entirely kicked in yet. So I feel like it really hurts a lot. She is moving like it is less tender 2 hours after giving it to her. She's cleaning herself and acting less stiff in her body movements so it's obvious it has helped some with the pain. I just don't know what else to do. Also, examined it this morning her knee felt slightly warmer than the rest, no notable swelling though.

Last edited:
As you can see she is clearly favoring that side.

Attachments

• 20240125_122834.jpg
    20240125_122834.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240125_122809.jpg
    20240125_122809.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240125_122757.jpg
    20240125_122757.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 8
Now she has hobbled over to the tipped over nest and is trying to fix the hay. Maybe she's going to lay!? I'm so worried she needs to and can't. It's a nice day and I have the windows open. I noticed she did this when she started hearing egg songs from outside.

Attachments

• 20240125_123212.jpg
    20240125_123212.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240125_123255.jpg
    20240125_123255.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240125_123300.jpg
    20240125_123300.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Progress? I would be heartbroken if she didn't get better. She is special to me. I feel helpless.

Attachments

• 20240125_124826.jpg
    20240125_124826.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 7
Sounds like she's suffered some type of injury if the aspirin is helping.
If you have a vet, see if they will prescribe some Meloxicam.
If injury, it can take a while to recover, but it seems she is improving.

Sounds like you have her set up well with her own little space.
See if she does lay an egg, even when injured, they will usually lay an egg if they normally do.

I don't have a vet around here that I can take her to. I have found a flock manager that will come out but it's a waiting game because she services such a large area. My husband is also not thrilled about the idea immediately, he just got laid off. I'm so worried.

She keeps pecking at the hay around her and looking at me like do you not have somewhere else to be? I'm going to leave her alone for a while and come back and see if she's made any progress.
😅 She want some privacy! She likely is going to lay an egg.

Go away Mom and come back later:hugs

Back
Top Bottom