Leg injury, side question

Sweet Caroline❤️ She has been special to us since day one. He loves her too, he's just more practical... I just need her to get better. I'm so worried it's not going to heal right and she won't have a quality of life.

Attachments

• 20230714_223933.jpg
    20230714_223933.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230714_224006.jpg
    20230714_224006.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230714_224037.jpg
    20230714_224037.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 6
🤗 Isn't she sweet!
She's a lovely girl and I understand your worry. Give her a little while and see if she lays an egg. In the photos, it looks like she's worked her way to a comfy nesting spot, so she's at least in position. Tucking away at hay and arranging it, she's exhibiting a nesting behavior too.

Keep me posted.

I had two hens with leg injuries on separate occasions. Both I learned were from horsing around on the roost bars. I kept the injured hens in a dog crate in the run. The goal is for her to rest the leg. If she is not crated, she will not rest it. My hens seemed grateful for the private space. keep fresh food and water. I also gave extra protein to help heal. At roost time, I put her in a smaller dog crate under the roosts so she could remain with the flock and put her back in the big dog crate in the morning. This was the best course for us for quickest healing opportunity. Good Luck! The goal is to REST little feathered friend! 🐔 :love

I had two hens with leg injuries on separate occasions. Both I learned were from horsing around on the roost bars. I kept the injured hens in a dog crate in the run. The goal is for her to rest the leg. If she is not crated, she will not rest it. My hens seemed grateful for the private space. keep fresh food and water. I also gave extra protein to help heal. At roost time, I put her in a smaller dog crate under the roosts so she could remain with the flock and put her back in the big dog crate in the morning. This was the best course for us for quickest healing opportunity. Good Luck! The goal is to REST little feathered friend! 🐔 :love
That's a good idea, I don't want them to be mean to her when she goes back. Since it's going to be 70° around here for the rest of the week I thought I should probably at least put her on the screen porch so she doesn't get too used to the warm inside the house. I just don't know how long it will take or how long it will take me to know It's not going to heal. And I'm so worried there's something I could be doing that I just don't know to do to increase her chances. How long did it take yours?

I've dropped an egg shell and all in the blender and then scrambled it. Mixing that with some whole mackerel cottage cheese and chopped organic spring mix. I give her a little plate everyday just to keep her spirits up but also have laying pellets, mixed with some rooster whole grains available all the time. I've been putting rooster booster in her water. Too much? Any other suggestions? I make salads like that (maybe fridge clean out) for them all the time. But I toss it out when they're free-ranging (I have 28). So it's a little snack to all of them. She's probably getting more than she usually would without competition... What about turmeric? Helpful? Will it ruin what she'd normally eat if I put it on there? Also was thinking about glucosamine and chondroitin. But I have no idea how much to give a chicken.

Last edited:
That's a good idea, I don't want them to be mean to her when she goes back. Since it's going to be 70° around here for the rest of the week I thought I should probably at least put her on the screen porch so she doesn't get too used to the warm inside the house. I just don't know how long it will take or how long it will take me to know It's not going to heal. And I'm so worried there's something I could be doing that I just don't know to do to increase her chances. How long did it take yours?
I think each hen was back with the normal flock after 5 days or less. Everyday they got a little better. 3 years this spring with 5 hens and I have learned that they are durable little buggers! They heal so well and sometimes seem like they would never make it but always wind up back to 100%, lol. The leg injury will heal with time. If it does not, you may have a slightly disabled hen, but, listen, she wont mind, she'll keep trying her best, as will you!! The best of luck to you. All we can do is try our very best, and I know that you are doing that. Its tough when we care so much and sometimes feel helpless or uneducated, but keep trying our best. Also, I have learned that BYC has some serious chicken helpers ALWAYS lurking around these forums, and what i notice is, if your 'issue' is getting a TON of responses and help, its because its probably very serious. Some of my concerns have had very few responses, and i have come to understand that maybe i am freaking out and my current issue is not end of the world type stuff. Even when my hen ripped her comb almost entirely off, BYC pros told me exactly what to do. They made me realize that its not the end of the world and even a ripped off comb could be dealt with. (hen did fully recover with a very odd comb). Based on her behavior you mentioned, I'll bet she makes it! Also, chickens dont like it too warm. inside temps now are too warm and i would do my best to not keep a hen inside very long or away from the flock. Reducing stress is on the top of my chicken survival guide! Sorry to carry on, I love the chickens! Yours, mine, ALL of em! 🐔 :love

You're right I hope I'm just freaking out. But I guess only time will tell. Yeah this is South Carolina so this weekend it was in the teens. Right now it's 70 lol! That first night it was right as it was getting dark and I didn't want her to be out in the still cold and I needed to examine her so I brought her in. At this point I'm thinking I probably should not be keeping her in here. 🤞🏼

Still no egg...

Back
Top Bottom