Tylan 50 for respiratory problems

@izziebean , if what you're dealing with is IB, then yes, that's why Tylan isn't working, but if you also have a secondary infection, like E. coli or pseudomonas, Tylan will not treat those either.

-Kathy

Is there a more broad spectrum antibiotic? I'm kind of on my last limb with over half my flock. I see signs in all of them again. I feel like a mouse in a wheel while watching its friends die slow painful deaths. No matter how fast I run, they still die.

Claire did survive the night. I did not sleep.. at all. I checked on her every few hours. She still is unable to stand on her own. Her crop was full last night at bedtime and this morning it was a bit empty. I brought her back inside and gave her more food. She eats it readily and filled her crop again. She's not a laying hen. I'm not pushing fluids with a syringe this time. I'm too scared I'm doing it wrong. I do dip the beak in the water and she gets herself fluids. I set her back down on a fresh pile of shavings with water on one side and food on the other. I do not know what else to try.

The lady that I bought the chickens from at the end of October sold all of her coops last week and took her facebook site down last night. I think she may have known. If she only knew what kind of life she has left me with......

Sorry. I'm so very sad. And mad. And all the emotions that go along with grief. I did not know Claire that much since I bought her as a baby chick in the fall. She was correctly sex'd as a girl from My Pet Chicken. I wish I could have seen her all grown up. She would have enjoyed playing in the backyard and the garden.

In my own life, I fight cancer and M.S. daily. The universe seems cruel that my little bird friends also have to fight an awful disease too. Perhaps I should give up chicken keeping. Is this what all chicken owners go through?

Quote: Sorry you're going through all of this, I know how frustrating it can be. If you think that any might have a secondary bacterial infection you could try Baytril, but it's banned for use in poultry, so you would have to think about that.

-Kathy

Quote: I have no idea, was just suggesting that you should google it. I happen to know that Garli is on toxic list, so I said something about it. FWIW, I'm not very good at beating around the bush, so if I thought you were about to feed something toxic, I wold say it, I would not tell you to google it.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Sorry you're going through all of this, I know how frustrating it can be. If you think that any might have a secondary bacterial infection you could try Baytril, but it's banned for use in poultry, so you would have to think about that.

-Kathy

I don't plan on eating my chickens, but I would like to eat their eggs one day. If I gave Baytril to them now, would it ever be cleared out of the system enough to be safe to eat the eggs? I've tried to google the information but seems to be a lot of differing opinions. It is too late for Claire, I think. She can't stand up anymore. I am just trying to make her comfortable and stop crying while she slowly passes away. It's frustrating that I know the illness that is killing her but since it is a virus, there are no meds that will cure the actual virus.

I would consider getting some for the next one that gets sick. Looks as if my little silver laced polish diva Diana Ross is growing weaker. She weighs a bit more at 1.75 pounds... but last night was weighting in at 1.65. The saga continues.

Garlic is in the same family as onions and should *not* be fed to birds.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy for this. I somehow missed this post. Very important to know. I have onions around my garden, should I be concerned about them eating the top portion that grows out of the ground? They are not allowed outside right now since it is too cold with their current infection. I'm just asking for future reference.

Also, I think I need to learn to catheter feed. I bought a one of those things you stick down into the crop at the local feed store, but it seems kind of big for my little bantams. Is there a smaller one I can order online for future use? Or is that pretty wide even in small birds?

Quote: Mine eat the onion tops, too. I used to worry myself silly, but they seem to be okay.

How big is the tube? I use a size 18 on all of my banties:
French
Gauge Diameter
(mm) Diameter
(inches)
3 1 0.039
4 1.33 0.053
5 1.67 0.066
6 2 0.079
7 2.3 0.092
8 2.7 0.105
9 3 0.118
10 3.3 0.131
11 3.7 0.144
12 4 0.158
13 4.3 0.170
14 4.7 0.184
15 5 0.197
16 5.3 0.210
17 5.7 0.223
18 6 0.236
19 6.3 0.249
20 6.7 0.263
22 7.3 0.288
24 8 0.315
26 8.7 0.341
28 9.3 0.367
30 10 0.393
32 10.7 0.419
34 11.3 0.445

-Kathy

Garlic is in the same family as onions and should *not* be fed to birds.

-Kathy

I knew about onions, didn't know that about garlic. My birds have received small amounts of garlic mixed with water and food before with no ill effects. Seemed to help expel worms one time. I guess amounts and length of time are factors so I will consider this new information going forward. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom