Tylan 50 for respiratory problems

I have no idea, was just suggesting that you should google it. I happen to know that Garli is on toxic list, so I said something about it. FWIW, I'm not very good at beating around the bush, so if I thought you were about to feed something toxic, I wold say it, I would not tell you to google it.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I had checked a list just the other day and didn't see garlic on it. I saw onions, but not garlic so I thought it was alright. It was a list of plants toxic to chickens. I knew some of them already, others were surprising. Now, some were rated on toxicity and the majority were low on the list so I imagine it has much to do with how much is consumed.

I have no idea, was just suggesting that you should google it. I happen to know that Garli is on toxic list, so I said something about it. FWIW, I'm not very good at beating around the bush, so if I thought you were about to feed something toxic, I wold say it, I would not tell you to google it. :D

-Kathy

I had checked a list just the other day and didn't see garlic on it.  I saw onions, but not garlic so I thought it was alright.  It was a list of plants toxic to chickens.  I knew some of them already, others were surprising.  Now, some were rated on toxicity and the majority were low on the list so I imagine it has much to do with how much is consumed.

I know lots of people do feed it to their chickens, but I think most vets will advise against it.

-Kathy

Thank you Kathy for this. I somehow missed this post. Very important to know. I have onions around my garden, should I be concerned about them eating the top portion that grows out of the ground? They are not allowed outside right now since it is too cold with their current infection. I'm just asking for future reference.

Also, I think I need to learn to catheter feed. I bought a one of those things you stick down into the crop at the local feed store, but it seems kind of big for my little bantams. Is there a smaller one I can order online for future use? Or is that pretty wide even in small birds?

I have wild onions that sprout in my yard and field every year. The chickens don't eat them. Maybe they know? Tomato leaves and potatoes are the same story. They won't eat the tomato plants but will eat the fruit if they can reach it. They seem to know. I have poke around here too and while I know people can eat it, it was on the no list too and for some reason, the chickens won't eat it. Same with the peaches. Although, I think they were referring to the leaves not the fruit itself.

Mine didn't eat the tomato leaves last summer, but they did eat the apple tree leaves. The leaves on lower limbs got munched on everyday.

Update on Claire: She continues to grow weaker (if that is possible). I can sit her up in front of food, but she can no longer sit up by herself. I think her body is just shutting down. When I sit her up, she eats like she is starving. I feel so bad for her. I wish I could end this. I've thought of different ways, but all of them seem cruel and I don't know how to do it.. and then live with myself later. Then there is this part of me that says 'go.. go now and try another antibiotic. buy before they close on a friday'. sigh. It's so hard to just let them go. Can anyone relate?

I can relate. Refresh my memory, are you tube feeding her? Sorry, I have CRSS (can't rememer stuff syndrome) and I'm too lazy to do a read-back.

-Kathy

The feeding tube I purchased a while back is a 14. Is that small enough for a bantam? Mine are around 1 pound.

So I went to check on Clairebear. The good news is that she is aware and awake. Her right foot seems stronger, but her left foot is not working. When I checked the big coop, my silver laced polish that is about 17 weeks old was lying on her side. If I stand her up.. she will walk. She will stand to eat, but then sits lays back down. For fifteen minutes, she has just laid there. I think my flock has gotten something else. I've heard vitamin e deficiency? I hate to even murmur the word Mareks, but this would fit. I am cleaning out a smaller coop to remove any bird that looks a bit suspicious. Since none of my birds are vaccinated against mareks, they are all susceptible (although they would be since the vaccine doesn't necessarily mean they won't get it). Since it is airborne and they all live in the garage, then all would have it now?

I have to admit I know nothing about this Mareks.

Okay I just read through some of the comments and I think I read that your flock has had Marek's? (Kathy?) If so... do you have any advice on how to continue. The birds are VERY thin. The two that are struggling to walk.. I can feel their chest bone and hardly any meat.

I am open to learning to use a catheter. Should I try to save them? Clair.. bless her little heart.. she's so little and just eating up a storm. I'm going to go clean up the emergency coop so that I can move a few over to that.

The feeding tube I purchased a while back is a 14. Is that small enough for a bantam? Mine are around 1 pound.

So I went to check on Clairebear. The good news is that she is aware and awake. Her right foot seems stronger, but her left foot is not working. When I checked the big coop, my silver laced polish that is about 17 weeks old was lying on her side. If I stand her up.. she will walk. She will stand to eat, but then sits lays back down. For fifteen minutes, she has just laid there. I think my flock has gotten something else. I've heard vitamin e deficiency? I hate to even murmur the word Mareks, but this would fit. I am cleaning out a smaller coop to remove any bird that looks a bit suspicious. Since none of my birds are vaccinated against mareks, they are all susceptible (although they would be since the vaccine doesn't necessarily mean they won't get it). Since it is airborne and they all live in the garage, then all would have it now?

I have to admit I know nothing about this Mareks.

Okay I just read through some of the comments and I think I read that your flock has had Marek's? (Kathy?) If so... do you have any advice on how to continue. The birds are VERY thin. The two that are struggling to walk.. I can feel their chest bone and hardly any meat.

I am open to learning to use a catheter. Should I try to save them? Clair.. bless her little heart.. she's so little and just eating up a storm. I'm going to go clean up the emergency coop so that I can move a few over to that.
Coccidiosis, worms, bacterial infections, vitamin deficiencies and possibly some other diseases can all cause the symptoms you're seeing. When I find one that's down I treat for coccidiosis, wormsand bacterial infections, but I also tube feed.

The size 14 is perfectly fine for a one pound bantam (I use an 18 on my OEGB's that are about 1 pound)

If you want to learn, let me know. You will need to start by giving just fluids and repeating just fluids until you're sure they're hydrated.

-Kathy

There are different strains of Marek's... some people will lose entire flocks, but that's rare, I think that most people lose about 5% per year.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom