Tylan/Antibiotic administration

SonnyGirl

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Pine Bush, NY
A long time ago I had someone on here recommend Tylan 50 at 1cc per 10 lbs, twice a day for ten days. So previously, as recommended, I have squirted it down the turkey's throat. However, I have a particularly fussy jenny and I was wondering if anyone sees any reason why soaking a piece of break wouldn't work?? I've tried it and she eats it (I wrap it in another smooshed piece of bread like a mini burrito haha) but I'm just wondering if there's any reason why this WOULDN'T be a good way of administering it. I can't think of any reason... but just want to make sure. Thanks for any insights/opinions...

Im not sure if that would work or not. I dont see why not though good thinking
thumbsup.gif
I was curious as to why twice a day for 10 days? I just recently finished giving my chicken tylan 50 and was recommended to do 1/2cc once a day for 5-7 days. I did that for 6 days and she was good to go. Just wondering if maybe I did it wrong or if turkeys and chickens are that much different.

Hi Chicken pickin... thanks for the reply! Yeah, Im guessing the bread thing works... just being extra cautious to make sure it's not ineffective or something, for some reason :S haha. I'm a bit of a worryer!
As far as the Tylan recommendation I got... I'm definitely guessing that the difference between a chicken and a turkey is a factor. I was a veterinary technician for 8 years and I know medications were sometimes used very differently between species, and even different breeds. But maybe also for different problems? Maybe they recommended it, considering how severe my hen's illness was? And I think it was actually 7-10 days.
Anyhow - the gal I have now, I planned to only do seven days cause it doesn't seem as severe (yet) but I'm getting nervous because it's the 4th day of antibiotics and she seemed to be doing better on the 2nd and 3rd day and today she was really struggling and seemed to be really weak and her cough came back bad :(

I just found this forum and am interested in your thoughts on using Tylan as an antibiotic. I have three hens, young and older, who developed respiratory problems such as a cough, a sneeze, labored breathing, gurgling, audible wheezes, and panting. I used tetracycline in water for seven days, two different times without much improvement. I am now using Tylan, per a different veterinary, and it seems to be working very well. I'm now at the end of the seven day treatment, but am hesitant to stop treating, thinking the problems may return. Having never used Tylan before, can you tell me if this resp problem is probably resolved now, or will it return? I can't believe how much better these hens are and am very pleased, to say the least..... Thanks so much for any information.

One of my chickens has been exhibiting signs of respiratory illness, so I've been doing some reading up on Tylan. It's a pretty powerful antibiotic so I would be very careful about exceeding the prescribed dosage/administration period. I would stop the Tylan adminstration and keep some Ornacyn around just in case. Antibiotics don't mask the symptoms, so if your chicken is acting normally again, you're probably in the clear. Just my two cents. :)

Back
Top Bottom