Type of bulbs for heatlamp? (blue uv red etc...)

Thanks for the advice so far, I really appreciate it!

I'm considering buying this one, or maybe the one Miss Lydia suggested --
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/designers-edge-aluminum-shade-brooder-light/0000000073267

This one has a porcelain socket and it supports up to 300w. However, it is pretty wide. If I were to place it inside the bin at the very top, there would be about 2" clearance on the sides. Even though I'd be using a 60 watt bulb, this makes me nervous. I'm having trouble finding a brooder lamp that is under 10 1/2" wide. I haven't found any larger bins here in town, though if I can find larger ones on the internet, I'd consider buying some just to be on the safe side.

@Miss Lydia - What are the dimensions of the lamp you're using? I haven't found this on the web page you posted.
This lamp is 16" long and from one side of lamp to the other where the grind is is 13" I have to say I wouldn't use a white light it really does disturb their sleep cycle and you might have problems with picking on each other. red or the one Amiga rec for reptiles would be best. I have been using the red and bought these bulbs along with the lamps from Premier 1, I hope the ones I ordered from Amazon will be here this week. I like the idea of no light and 150 watts instead of 250. another thing I like about this heat lamp is it is one of the safest i've ever seen. the grind is close so it would be impossible if it did fall in the brooder for any babies to touch it and most likely shaving couldn't get into that easy either. and the lamp gets warm on the outside not hot which with a metal one I'd think the metal would get hot.

Last edited:
avoid big heat lamps. use 60 watt bulb safety first.
smile.png

Alright, I've found some larger bins that seem to be the perfect size. Later this week I will throw together some PVC pipes to create a secure brooder lamp holder.

Now, for the "full spectrum" lights. I did an internet search on this and found some rather confusing results. Some people say that a higher color temperature range is optimal, such as 6000 k+, while other people are saying 2700 K is fine. What would you recommend for ducklings and for adults? And what about a timer?

This light will be used along side the ceramic bulbs previously mentioned that do not give off any visible light.

Alright, I've found some larger bins that seem to be the perfect size. Later this week I will throw together some PVC pipes to create a secure brooder lamp holder.

Now, for the "full spectrum" lights. I did an internet search on this and found some rather confusing results. Some people say that a higher color temperature range is optimal, such as 6000 k+, while other people are saying 2700 K is fine. What would you recommend for ducklings and for adults? And what about a timer?

This light will be used along side the ceramic bulbs previously mentioned that do not give off any visible light.
I have a full spectrum light build I use over my computer since I have SADD, it's a nice light we don't get but about 1.5 hrs sun here from Nov. to late Feb[ North side of the mountain] so it helps me. I've never used one on my chicks or ducklings though just kept the heat lamp on them. when you have babies they need consistent heat though so using a timer I don't think would work .

Last edited:
I have a full spectrum light build I use over my computer since I have SADD, it's a nice light we don't get but about 1.5 hrs sun here from Nov. to late Feb[ North side of the mountain] so it helps me. I've never used one on my chicks or ducklings though just kept the heat lamp on them. when you have babies they need consistent heat though so using a timer I don't think would work .
Well, what I meant was I would use 2 different lamps. One to keep the ducklings warm and one to give them light in the brooder. Since the ceramic bulbs don't seem to give off any light but only heat, I figured maybe I should put a full spectrum bulb above the brooder too so they get some light. Full spectrum so they get the UV they need. I've read too much UV can be bad so that's where the timer would come in.

I just don't know enough about these full spectrum bulbs. I don't know if they give off too much UV or not. I also don't know what type or "temperature range" to get when choosing the bulb.

edit - Maybe I'm just thinking too far in to this and over complicating things? If someone could post a link to a full spectrum bulb that will give the birds what they need, that would be great.

Last edited:
Well, what I meant was I would use 2 different lamps. One to keep the ducklings warm and one to give them light in the brooder. Since the ceramic bulbs don't seem to give off any light but only heat, I figured maybe I should put a full spectrum bulb above the brooder too so they get some light. Full spectrum so they get the UV they need. I've read too much UV can be bad so that's where the timer would come in.

I just don't know enough about these full spectrum bulbs. I don't know if they give off too much UV or not. I also don't know what type or "temperature range" to get when choosing the bulb.

edit - Maybe I'm just thinking too far in to this and over complicating things? If someone could post a link to a full spectrum bulb that will give the birds what they need, that would be great.
I just got a Premier1 catalog, and they now rec 175 infrared light with their heat lamps. Will they be in natural light like a room with a window, I kept my brooder by a window on the south side and they got good light and didn't need any extra. light beside their heat lamp. I haven't seen any thing saying Full spectrum can be bad but I haven't looked it up either.

Alrighty, thanks for the help everybody! I've decided to use this lamp on Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H200QC/

I picked it for 2 reasons:
1. It's smaller than all of the 10.5" lamps I can find around here. I didn't want the heat lamp "reflector" getting too close to the sides of the plastic tote for fears of it melting.
2. It comes with a dimmer switch. This will make it a lot easier for me to control the temperature.

Now I just need to decide if I want the 60 watt or the 100 watt ceramic bulb. I don't want it to be too cold and I certainly don't want it to be too hot! I'm thinking I can use a 100 watt and use the dimmer if it gets too warm. Any thoughts on this?

Alrighty, thanks for the help everybody! I've decided to use this lamp on Amazon :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003H200QC/

I picked it for 2 reasons:
1. It's smaller than all of the 10.5" lamps I can find around here. I didn't want the heat lamp "reflector" getting too close to the sides of the plastic tote for fears of it melting.
2. It comes with a dimmer switch. This will make it a lot easier for me to control the temperature.

Now I just need to decide if I want the 60 watt or the 100 watt ceramic bulb. I don't want it to be too cold and I certainly don't want it to be too hot! I'm thinking I can use a 100 watt and use the dimmer if it gets too warm. Any thoughts on this?
I think that would be better the 100 watt because first week they are going to need to be at around 85* you can adjust the dimmer up or down to get the right heat and use dimmer to drop it 5* each week there after. make sure you buy a digital thermometer to keep track of the heat in the brooder.

Last edited:
I think that would be better the 100 watt because first week they are going to need to be at around 85* you can adjust the dimmer up or down to get the right heat and use dimmer to drop it 5* each week there after. make sure you buy a digital thermometer to keep track of the heat in the brooder.

I actually have a digital thermometer right now! However, I'm concerned the little ones might play with the sensor cable. The end of it is pretty small and may be a choking hazard. Could I tape it to the side of the tote, or would that disrupt the temperature readings?

Or, maybe I can find another one online with a larger sensor that I wont have to worry about.

I'm overthinking it again. I'll tape the sensor to the side of the brooder and see how it goes. If all else fails, I can put a normal outdoor thermometer inside rather than the digital one. Thanks again for the advice everyone! I've placed all my orders and everything should be here and ready in about a week. If I have any more questions I'll be back.

@tdd2 - Cute pictures! If I can get my **** camera to work I will post pictures of my own next month. If I remember to post them here, that is.

Last edited:
I actually have a digital thermometer right now! However, I'm concerned the little ones might play with the sensor cable. The end of it is pretty small and may be a choking hazard. Could I tape it to the side of the tote, or would that disrupt the temperature readings?

Or, maybe I can find another one online with a larger sensor that I wont have to worry about.

I'm overthinking it again. I'll tape the sensor to the side of the brooder and see how it goes. If all else fails, I can put a normal outdoor thermometer inside rather than the digital one. Thanks again for the advice everyone! I've placed all my orders and everything should be here and ready in about a week. If I have any more questions I'll be back.

@tdd2 - Cute pictures! If I can get my **** camera to work I will post pictures of my own next month. If I remember to post them here, that is.
I love the ducklings in your avatar, yours? I used a reg out door thermometer in my brooders but most rec digital.

Back
Top Bottom