Types of Feeders

LittleBits

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
What is the best type of feeder to use in order to not waste so much feed? I feed crumbles in the feeder but most of it is pecked out and wasted on the ground.

Here is the feeder type that we used right now. It is screwed to a board under a plywood roof. 12" long.
EC11-SM.jpg

I am wondering if the ones with the holes in them, like below, would keep from so much waste?
GalvSlideTopFeed.jpg

Feeders are outside right now, but with all this rain we've had past 2 days, looks like I may need to offer them something in the coop as well. And I know I will need to come wintertime.

Last edited:
Definatly not an expert but the one with the holes in it will stop a little waste but chickens seem to just love to waste food. you could try fermented feed that is supposed to reduce overall consumtion and waste, and its pretty simple to do and has alot of other health benefits
smile.png

When my chicks were younger I used the feeders with holes and my chicks would stand on top of it and poo in the feed. Now I use a hanging feeder (the height is about level with my chicks backs) and I have zero feed waste, the chicks dont get in it and they don't throw it out either. I think I'm lucky

Katie

Back
Top Bottom