Ugh, bloody poo in the brooder - cocci questions

honeydoll

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Stark County, NE Ohio
I bought some chicks from TSC last weekend and 3 days ago saw a small bloody poo. Then nothing until today, another small bloody poo pile. Only two piles. I think cocci is brewing. I bought the medicated feed from TSC yesterday, previosly it was the 24% protein chick starter as they are meat birds. Will this be enough? Do I need to buy the corid too? THey act healthy, eat well, are still very active. Thanks.

Carolyn

Quote:
The poop chart that Miss Lydia posted has helped a lot of us out. It's not uncommon for new chick owners (assuming you are new) to mistake cecal poop (normal) for bloody poop or diarrhea.

Edited to say "Whoops." I checked and saw that you are not new to chickens at all....

Last edited:
It would be unusual for new chicks from a hatchery to have cocci. Possible, yes, but unusual. Cocci are protozoa in the soil and it usually takes a fair load of them to get the chicks really sick.

Oh geez. YayChicks, no problem, I am still learning new things. And yes, I think it is cecal poo. Duh, I didn't even think about that!
roll.png
Their poo didn't look exactly like the cecal poo, but I think that is what it is. I too thought it unusual for them to get this, coming from TSC and going straight to the brooder.
he.gif
Boy, do I feel stupid, I didn't even think about it being cecal poop. THanks for the help guys. I am 99% positive it is cecal poo now.

Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom