Uh... Muscovy Egg Colors and Size?

The female supplied gamete will attempt to replicate into stage 1 stem cells. It may even have a couple of semi successes but it will degrade rapidly.

The sperm cell can penetrate the cell wall of the egg. It will then promptly die becausethe chromosomes aren't right. Technically it is fertilized, but it is not viable due to chromosomal differences between the gametes of different species.
I figured this was the reason. Lots of species have sperm that can fertilize other not-so-close species (some primates and humans, for example) but the fertilized cell won't develop.

But there's to many differences in the chromosomes to even fertilize the egg
Fertilize simply means that the sperm cell gets into the the egg cell to add its genetic material to the egg cell--it has nothing to do with whether or not they successfully become a living creature. Whether or not a sperm cell actually penetrates the egg simply depends on if the enzyme in the head of the sperm can dissolve the egg cell's wall, which I can imagine for birds, it should all be the same. I was simply curious as to whether or not the bullseye would show up at all. (Which, I guess it should, considering the mental exercise I just went through with this.)

Now, a dog sperm and a duck egg cell would probably not show up for a bullseye because the dog sperm's enzyme might be too different. (But don't quote me on that... stranger things have happened.)

I do know now that the tan egg is from the muscovy duck as I sat through fifteen minutes earlier this morning of watching it lay a darn egg while my male hissed at me.

Last edited:
Leary I'm not saying 'oh your so wrong' but what your saying seems to be wrong... I'm not being in anyway ignorant or whatever another word is for ignorant, but the Sperm is different for ducks and chickens making it not be able to fertilize. Leary your a very respected member on here and I love your advice u give on colors and incubating, just I don't think your right
sad.png
Well then we can agree to disagree :) The next time I crack one of my chicken eggs I can send you a pic to show you it is in fact true. I have a couple of egg laying turken hens and no rooster. There are muscovies (males and females) in their pen with them and I do get fertilized eggs from the chickens

Fertilize simply means that the sperm cell gets into the the egg cell to add its genetic material to the egg cell--it has nothing to do with whether or not they successfully become a living creature. Whether or not a sperm cell actually penetrates the egg simply depends on if the enzyme in the head of the sperm can dissolve the egg cell's wall, which I can imagine for birds, it should all be the same. I was simply curious as to whether or not the bullseye would show up at all. (Which, I guess it should, considering the mental exercise I just went through with this.)

Now, a dog sperm and a duck egg cell would probably not show up for a bullseye because the dog sperm's enzyme might be too different. (But don't quote me on that... stranger things have happened.)

I do know now that the tan egg is from the muscovy duck as I sat through fifteen minutes earlier this morning of watching it lay a darn egg while my male hissed at me.
Exactly :)

Interesting to hear so many perspectives. I'm pretty sure the brown ones are muscovy eggs... only because they're the size of jumbo Costco eggs, and if the bantams can push those monsters out... well, I might switch to bantam chickens instead. Based on the shell... texture? I think the white ones are also muscovy duck eggs too, mainly because they're clearly distinct from the chicken eggs I bought for the very purpose of telling the difference.

I put them in my incubator but none of them developed any veins and it's been over a week and a half. They might have gotten chilled for too long.

Thanks for all the help! I didn't know the bullseye would show up for chicken eggs too! That's just wild.

White eggs -white leg horns in -40C, and the tinted are my newly laying 6 month lavender muscovy!
I only have three layers so Im certain of this lol

Attachments

• E2B20C30-EC53-48BD-899F-97D5C76D4E94.jpeg
    E2B20C30-EC53-48BD-899F-97D5C76D4E94.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 12
Muscovy ducks will NOT produce brown eggs like the ones shown in the pic. So those have got to be from your chickens.
Muscovy eggs are white/cream and some will have a hue or tint of color to them but it's usually along the lines of green or grey.

If you have a drake with your chickens and duck hens, he can be fertilizing everyone. But they will not hatch since ducks and chickens are different species.

2 white leghorns give me a white egg a day, very recently my 6 month old lavender muscovy lays me 1 tinted brown egg a day. All in -40C

Attachments

• 71678D37-2E0A-42DC-A082-C400ADEF3827.jpeg
    71678D37-2E0A-42DC-A082-C400ADEF3827.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom