UK pigeon owners

Yes. The red one with the numbers and a blue one that's just a plain leg band with no numbers. I Phoned the number for strays and they are closed till Monday morning. Should I let her back out? I'm worried if I do she may go back into the neighbours garden though.
I would not release him or her for at least 48 hours. At that point if the bird is eating drinking pooping and looks healthy you could release and make sure it can fly ok. But by that time maybe you will know if it is a local bird whose owner wants it, or what.

Well the pigeon is looking alot better today. I Phoned the RPRS and they gave me the owners contact details. He's happy I've got him. Turns out they were released from Blandford forum on Friday. That is 177 miles south from here. He is from Kettering which is about an hour and a half south from here. Basically the pigeon has gone too far! So I'm keeping it till tomorrow and I'll release it away from my home and hopefully it will return to his loft! I didn't realise that they can lose a third of their bodyweight when racing! Poor little thing must be knackered! How far can they fly in a day?

I'm sure if you search the net. Yull find if there was a race recently, and the band's might give you more info. On the net. Whom might be looking for said bird. As for it not looking too good I would get a type of heat to like a heating pad or lamp good luck!!
Crzytrkr
X2 good points! Gentle heat is a good idea if the bird is ill or injured.
Pigeons also love baths if they are feeling well enough.
Well the pigeon is looking alot better today. I Phoned the RPRS and they gave me the owners contact details. He's happy I've got him. Turns out they were released from Blandford forum on Friday. That is 177 miles south from here. He is from Kettering which is about an hour and a half south from here. Basically the pigeon has gone too far! So I'm keeping it till tomorrow and I'll release it away from my home and hopefully it will return to his loft! I didn't realise that they can lose a third of their bodyweight when racing! Poor little thing must be knackered! How far can they fly in a day?
That is excellent news!!! You've done good by this bird. :clap
Some races are over 500 miles for older birds.

X2 good points! Gentle heat is a good idea if the bird is ill or injured.
Pigeons also love baths if they are feeling well enough.

That is excellent news!!! You've done good by this bird. :clap
Some races are over 500 miles for older birds.
I spoke to the owner again tonight. He said the longest race he has done was 750 miles! This pigeon is a18mth old female and still in training. He has 250 in his loft! Sounded like a really nice guy. He has asked me to keep it till Wednesday now to make sure it's fully recovered. It made me start thinking about getting some. I'm probably a bit feathered out at the minute and I don't think the wife would be to happy:oops:!! Maybe one day! I could do with learning about them first!

Back
Top Bottom