***UK RESIDENTS - BIRD FLU ADVICE***

I'm in Ireland and there has been one case.
The show and sale ban is on until 22nd but I think it should be extended.
The Irish national show is on the 28th of January, so it should be fine,
But there is very little entries.
I'm not going to go because healthy birds are much better than a roset!
I also heard there is more bird flu found in Wales.
Goodluck to everyone and I hope all of your birds stay healthy.
Fionn.

Is the show and sale ban until 28th of Jan, just in Ireland? They have announced it here, but haven't said if it's until the 28th Feb like the lockdown....

Hi there,
The show ban in Ireland is until the 22nd
But the national Irish show is on the 28th.
I have a slight feeling that Ireland will be extending the ban though.
In England as you probably know the ban has been lengthened to 28th of February

Anyone any ideas for good duck enrichment to stop boredom?

I usually let my 3 have a toot around in my back garden but they're confined to their covered pen, and are telling me (screaming at me) they're a bit fed up. They have plenty of space but I know they're a bit bored of foraging the same space over and over, I'm afraid my neighbours are going to get tired of them being so vocal, especially as the advice is in place until the end of February
th.gif

Anyone any ideas for good duck enrichment to stop boredom?

I usually let my 3 have a toot around in my back garden but they're confined to their covered pen, and are telling me (screaming at me) they're a bit fed up. They have plenty of space but I know they're a bit bored of foraging the same space over and over, I'm afraid my neighbours are going to get tired of them being so vocal, especially as the advice is in place until the end of February
th.gif
I hang a head of cabbage out also you can hang lettuce too. Keeps em busy for a while. Just make sure what you use to hang isn't something they can manage to eat.

I have a little issue. Some wild ducks keep visiting (garden likes to flood) I would normally leave them be, can I still leave them be or should I be making them leave? My ducks are netted and protected.

I have a little issue. Some wild ducks keep visiting (garden likes to flood) I would normally leave them be, can I still leave them be or should I be making them leave? My ducks are netted and protected.

According to the advice on DEFRA's website I've been reading this morning, you should be making every effort to make your garden unattractive to wild birds, and discourage them from using any bodies of water.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2016-to-2017

I'm currently outside the high risk zones, and I'm trying to make a decision about letting my girls out again once the measures are lifted at the end of the month. I want to let them have a bit of freedom again, but in the high risk areas they are advising some areas to maintain max biosecurity and housing until the end of April!
hmm.png
so I don't think the threat is completely over yet.

Last edited:
According to the advice on DEFRA's website I've been reading this morning, you should be making every effort to make your garden unattractive to wild birds, and discourage them from using any bodies of water.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/avian-influenza-bird-flu-in-winter-2016-to-2017

I'm currently outside the high risk zones, and I'm trying to make a decision about letting my girls out again once the measures are lifted at the end of the month. I want to let them have a bit of freedom again, but in the high risk areas they are advising some areas to maintain max biosecurity and housing until the end of April! :/  so I don't think the threat is completely over yet.

There isn't a major threat of Avian Influenza- DEFRA are just being overly cautious because they don't want an epidemic...... During Foot and Mouth, out of the millions of animals that they slaughtered and only 20% actually had the disease, which just shows that they do sometimes go a bit overkill.

If I was you, I'd just let my ducks outside- there's a TINY risk of them becoming infected, and as long as you are being careful (such as covering up food and not introducing new birds) then I'm sure that they will be just fine.

@DancingWthDucks you're right - I'm probably over thinking it! I think it's just been a tense situation being in the waiting game for a while. My girls are dying to play out now!

According to the advice on DEFRA's website I've been reading this morning, you should be making every effort to make your garden unattractive to wild birds, and discourage them from using any bodies of water.

I'm currently outside the high risk zones, and I'm trying to make a decision about letting my girls out again once the measures are lifted at the end of the month. I want to let them have a bit of freedom again, but in the high risk areas they are advising some areas to maintain max biosecurity and housing until the end of April! :/  so I don't think the threat is completely over yet.

I am also not in a risk zone. It it's not far from us on the map. Will we be able to let them out (with supervision) without netting? Or does netting have to be a thing. I've been told so many different things, I just don't know what to think.
My five ducks are stuck in a shed with one window and they're constantly trying to escape. I've hung up toys, been giving treats. They're sick of it!
The wild ducks keep coming back because our top field is a little flooded.

Back
Top Bottom