Umm.. how long do roosters crow for?

My little Sicilian rooster crows all day. Any time I drive up in the drive way, walk out the back door, or make a noise out by the shop. It sets him off just like a out of control watch dog. I have heard him crow as early as 0300. Course we are very early risers here, 0500 is a late start for my household. I don't mind, and my one close neighbor enjoys hearing Stewie the Rooster crow.

One question--- Are you rural, are their any regulations in regards of chickens?

If you are rural and no regulations, then your neighbor should expect hearing a rooster crow.

Neighbors across the lake? In the quiet of morning I can hear another rooster crowing other than mine, and I know that other rooster is 1/2 mile away. Across a major hwy and 1/4 mile of thick wooded land. So your neighbors across the lake, if that lake is less than 1 mile across, I'd say yes, they can hear your rooster very well.

Crowing is what a rooster does, by and large they do it real good.

Roosters will also crow after dark, only if they feel the need to "sound the alarm" for some reason. For instance, my husband and I recently added a large shelf (to hold the nest boxes) and some chick pens in the coop, and wound up having to work after dark a few times. At first, the alpha roo would crow his head off to announce the intrusion; but eventually he learned to accept our presence without complaining too much. I wanted to mention this because if you hear crowing during the night, it could mean a predator is around!

I'm glad I found this thread. I just got a beautiful Gold Laced Wyandotte roo, about 6 months old, and he has been crowing for the last 2 hours. I was assuming it was because of the new home. He is quarantined with the two Silver Laced Wyandottes that were living in the same pen when I bought him. My flock is chattering about him and very curious. I'm sure my neighbors are chattering about him too...

Our rooster starts to crow about 430. This seems to wake the owls who then start to hoot as well.
Been doing this for about 8 years now and he was an old bird when he was given to us by a "town" chicken owner whose neighbours complained...

I'm glad I found this (although it's an old thread). I'm cracking up right now. We got a rooster on Sunday, he's a big beautiful bird, and apparently thinks he's one of the dogs. Monday morning he crowed once and I was thinking hey, this isn't so bad, yesterday he crowed 5 or 6 times at 2 pm when the neighbors dogs started howling and that was it. This morning he's been going for the last 1/2 hour non-stop. Fingers crossed that the neighbors don't care, our closest neighbor is maybe 150 yards away, and there are 4 other neighbors at varying distances, but the sound does carry up the canyon really well. They told us pre-rooster that they didn't mind if we got one, but we'll see now that he's here!

Well, they crow as long as they have something to crow about! Mine start whenever the roosters down the hill start, usually about 3:30-4 a.m. And, if there is something lurking around the barn, or if they see lights flash in their windows, or...or...or..... My son calls it "chicken music".

I love it. I knew he would crow more than the once at sun up, but I had no idea that it would be just like our dogs. The wind blew, a car drove up the road, the dogs a 1/2 mile away barked at something, the goats yelled at me for food (the goats are terrified of him now that they've heard him crow). Personally, I don't mind it at all, just hoping my neighbors feel the same. Haha.

Last edited:
IF you really like the crowing and dislike your neighbors - get a Tommaru ( I think is the name) LONG CROWER - they seem to have an endless crow but, it does kinda finish up with a laughing sound.

Back
Top Bottom