Unable to stand or walk

kaylakukla

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2021
I have a chicken who is ten years old; Thàvma. She was healthy and thriving then one day recently, she disappeared. We looked all over for her (we have over ten acres) and ultimately found her ten days later. She was found against the pool equipment and when I picked her up, she was alert and didn’t have any visual health concerns. She had lost a bit of weight so we brought her inside, gave her food and water (spiked it with electrolytes and probiotics). She drank and ate no problem but she didn’t and couldn’t stand up or walk. Her food was being digested and she was having normal poop. After closely monitoring her, the following morning, I took her to our vet. She examined her and said she was probably just weak from being without for so long so we headed home and I continued giving her a high calorie food. It’s been two weeks and she’s still not standing or walking much at all. A couple steps before she face-plants. Any ideas or recommendations?

Attachments

• E13AAB9E-C94A-4026-B4A7-6EE3793B53E0.jpeg
    E13AAB9E-C94A-4026-B4A7-6EE3793B53E0.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 18
I have a chicken who is ten years old; Thàvma.

Wow, that is amazing! You must have been doing something very good for your chicken to keep her alive and healthy that long. Since you have already made a vet visit, I guess I would rule out any broken bones or such. At 10 years old, I would give her more time to recover and hope for the best. It sounds like you have provided her with a wonderful life. Best to you and Thàvma.

Wow! 10 years?! That's very good care you have given her! Give her a bit more time, she is quite old so don't rush her... If it's been a while and she still isn't walking, you can hold her up, her feet touching the ground (and keep holding her everyday like this) until she is strong enough that you are barely supporting her.

Wow! 10 years?! That's very good care you have given her! Give her a bit more time, she is quite old so don't rush her... If it's been a while and she still isn't walking, you can hold her up, her feet touching the ground (and keep holding her everyday like this) until she is strong enough that you are barely supporting her.
I dont know if that makes sense, hope you understand what I mean... Hope she gets better

Wow, that is amazing! You must have been doing something very good for your chicken to keep her alive and healthy that long. Since you have already made a vet visit, I guess I would rule out any broken bones or such. At 10 years old, I would give her more time to recover and hope for the best. It sounds like you have provided her with a wonderful life. Best to you and Thàvma.
You are so kind; thank you. I actually have two others that are ten and the rest of the girls (and one boy) are two.

I dont know if that makes sense, hope you understand what I mean... Hope she gets better
It made perfect sense and I appreciate your advice and kind words! I find her standing at times and taking a few steps but her progress is incredibly delayed. Let’s hope a bit of PT, sunshine, and time with her siblings is just what she needs!

It made perfect sense and I appreciate your advice and kind words! I find her standing at times and taking a few steps but her progress is incredibly delayed. Let’s hope a bit of PT, sunshine, and time with her siblings is just what she needs!
Yes, maybe her siblings can support her and help her out... I don't know if it's the same but with my chicks, one had lots of leg problems and the other chicks would support him so he could walk, now, he is nearly 3 weeks old and can walk perfectly! Its amazing how they care for eachother! 💘 🐣🐔🐥🐤

Yes, maybe her siblings can support her and help her out... I don't know if it's the same but with my chicks, one had lots of leg problems and the other chicks would support him so he could walk, now, he is nearly 3 weeks old and can walk perfectly! Its amazing how they care for eachother! 💘 🐣🐔🐥🐤
That’s heartwarming! I hope the little one has a full life. I miss having little chicks! Such a cute age.

When Thàvma was missing and I had gone out to look again, all the girls took me to her exact location. It was unreal. I’ve heard of animals doing that in the wild but never experienced it first hand. When I had gone outside, all of them came to the door and started walking in a line to her and when I went off course, all of them guided me back on track. Quite magical to witness.

Update!

It’s been five months and Thàvma has not made the progression that we were hoping for but she’s doing good. She still can’t walk (she more so shuffles), gets quite disoriented if she’s moved, and uses her wing and beak as a third and fourth leg for more stabilization. For those dealing with the same or similar issue, I’d suggest feeding them scrambled eggs to increase their calorie intake.

Attachments

• 988A37BA-8451-49B1-A0BE-A1C0A0D26CD0.jpeg
    988A37BA-8451-49B1-A0BE-A1C0A0D26CD0.jpeg
    837.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom