Unbalanced 8 year old hen

esme13

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 22, 2014
New York
Hi! My oldest hen is starting to act a bit off. She laid one egg last month and has been eating and drinking and pooping normal. However she is off balance a bit when she walks and uses her wings to stabilize or catch her self. Any one ever dealt with something similar ? She is grazing right now, this has been going on for a week.

Check her over to make sure lice/mites aren't an issue, that's there's no infection in the ears and that her crop is emptying overnight.

Sometimes as hens get older they can begin to have some reproductive issues that affect them. Feel below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid.

Taking a sample of poop for a fecal float will help rule out worms.

There's so many things that affect hens it's hard to know what's going on sometimes.

Check her over to make sure lice/mites aren't an issue, that's there's no infection in the ears and that her crop is emptying overnight.

Sometimes as hens get older they can begin to have some reproductive issues that affect them. Feel below the vent between her legs for bloat or fluid.

Taking a sample of poop for a fecal float will help rule out worms.

There's so many things that affect hens it's hard to know what's going on sometimes.
Thank you, mites have been a constantly battle , with the sparrows. Right now her feathers look great , same with the other ladies. I’m thinking reproductive , what can be done for that? When I got back from vacation the person who watched over them said she was oozing from the back. I didn’t see much , but I washed her and saw fecal matter. After that, I watched her stool and it’s nice normal looking. Could something still be inside her?? She hasn’t laid in about 3 weeks (aside from the first full egg I did collect). She’s turning 9 years old soon.

I’m going to feel her area tomorrow , other wise I’m thinking it’s time for a vet visit if they will give me an appt sooner than later 🤞.

Thank you, mites have been a constantly battle , with the sparrows. Right now her feathers look great , same with the other ladies. I’m thinking reproductive , what can be done for that? When I got back from vacation the person who watched over them said she was oozing from the back. I didn’t see much , but I washed her and saw fecal matter. After that, I watched her stool and it’s nice normal looking. Could something still be inside her?? She hasn’t laid in about 3 weeks (aside from the first full egg I did collect). She’s turning 9 years old soon.
I wonder if what the caretaker saw was possibly a shell membrane or perhaps she had expelled a shell less egg that had ruptured before she expelled it. This can make them feel terrible.
If she hasn't laid in 3 weeks and you were expecting her to lay more, then I'd give her extra calcium to see if that helps her expel any material. Calcium Citrate with D3 is the best to give for a quick uptake, you can find it at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.
At 9 yrs of age she may not lay consistently, it just depends on the hen.

External parasites can also cause issues, so revisit checking her to see if they are part of the problem. It seems once they get started it's a real pain to get rid of them.

If you do have vet care, that's always best and if you do end up at the vet, let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom