Uncle Sam Expects You To Keep Hens and Raise Chickens !!

Pics
Well, we need to remember "It takes a Village". Since none of my neighbors keep chickens, I need to make up for each household in "The Village".
wee.gif

Now that is a perfect explanation for me!
big_smile.png
None of my friends or neighbors have chickens, I guess I'll have to keep more hens to supply their needs.
wee.gif

This is great!!!! But I think y'all's chicken math is a bit low. We need to raise broilers as well as layers!

The title says 1) Keep hens, and 2) Raise chickens. Clearly two separate categories. To avoid confusion, if the intent was for backyard flocks to be limited solely to layers, it would read "occasionally raise replacement pullets" instead of "raise chickens".

Then, it states the goal of a bumper crop of 1) Poultry, and 2) Eggs. Again, two separate categories. As "poultry" are domesticated birds raised for meat and/or eggs, if the intent was for eggs only, it would read eggs, only. As a bumper crop is an unusually large crop growth and harvest, backyard flocks should be large enough to ensure an unusually large "harvest" of meat and eggs. As in, more than you would normally eat. As in, an unusually large amount more than you normally eat - and I, for one, already eat a lot of chicken and eggs.
smile.png

Therefore, it is our patriotic duty to keep 1) Layers and 2) Broilers, and lots of them. In areas where families tend to shirk their patriotic chicken-raising duties, we should raise more chickens to make up for their selfishness and lack of support to the country. As people in your neighborhood begin to raise chickens themselves, you are free to reduce the size of your flock accordingly. If you want to.

Here's my chicken math:

Eggs per person per week, normally: 15. (3 eggs x 5 days a week)
Eggs per person per week in an unusually large harvest: 26. (3 eggs every day, plus egg salad, quiches, custards, sauces, etc.)
Layers @ 4 eggs per week*, for 26 eggs per person per week: 14.86 (round up to 15)
Replacement pullets for 15 layers in a three-year cycle: 5
Roosters** for 15 layers at the 1:9 ratio illustrated: 1.67 (round up to 2)
Total laying flock per person: 22

Broiler chickens per person per week, normally: 2.5 (2 chicken dinners at 1/2 chicken per meal + 2 chicken lunches at 1/4 chicken per meal)
Broiler chickens per person per week in an unusually large harvest: 5 (4 chicken dinners at 1/2 chicken per meal + 4 chicken lunches at 1/4 chicken per meal)
Breeding hens to provide 5 broiler chickens per person per week at 3 chicks per hen per week*: 2.14 (rounded to 2)
Roosters at 1 per 8 hens: 1 (rounded up)
Broilers in brooder for 8 week cycle: 40
Total broiler flock per person: 43

Total chickens per person: 65

I'll say 100 birds are about right for the two members of my household (DW eats less than I do). So, at 50 birds, we're clearly not contributing our share to the bumper crop of poultry and eggs - and I haven't accounted for the three nearby unpatriotic families selfishly not raising chickens.

*allowing for reduced periods of lay during molt and winter. Numbers of bantam hens should be increased relative to their egg size, approximately 3:2. Broilers further allow for losses in incubation and brooding.

**if roosters weren't required, they wouldn't be in the illustration. Duh!

Here's my chicken math:

Eggs per person per week, normally: 15. (3 eggs x 5 days a week)
Eggs per person per week in an unusually large harvest: 26. (3 eggs every day, plus egg salad, quiches, custards, sauces, etc.)
Layers @ 4 eggs per week*, for 26 eggs per person per week: 14.86 (round up to 15)
Replacement pullets for 15 layers in a three-year cycle: 5
Roosters** for 15 layers at the 1:9 ratio illustrated: 1.67 (round up to 2)
Total laying flock per person: 22

Broiler chickens per person per week, normally: 2.5 (2 chicken dinners at 1/2 chicken per meal + 2 chicken lunches at 1/4 chicken per meal)
Broiler chickens per person per week in an unusually large harvest: 5 (4 chicken dinners at 1/2 chicken per meal + 4 chicken lunches at 1/4 chicken per meal)
Breeding hens to provide 5 broiler chickens per person per week at 3 chicks per hen per week*: 2.14 (rounded to 2)
Roosters at 1 per 8 hens: 1 (rounded up)
Broilers in brooder for 8 week cycle: 40
Total broiler flock per person: 43

Total chickens per person: 65

I'll say 100 birds are about right for the two members of my household (DW eats less than I do). So, at 50 birds, we're clearly not contributing our share to the bumper crop of poultry and eggs - and I haven't accounted for the three nearby unpatriotic families selfishly not raising chickens.

*allowing for reduced periods of lay during molt and winter. Numbers of bantam hens should be increased relative to their egg size, approximately 3:2. Broilers further allow for losses in incubation and brooding.

**if roosters weren't required, they wouldn't be in the illustration. Duh!
Sorry, but your math is wrong.
@4 eggs per bird per week, you would only need 6.5 (round up to 7, would give you 28 eggs) for 26 eggs.

didn't go any farther than that. . . .

Well, I'm getting about 5.71 eggs per bird per week (pretty good girls, mine) or a total of 120. (21 layers and 2 cockerels) 10 dozen. Way too many for one couple. I sell 11 dozen.

I usually hatch a few of dozen - to sell some and eat some, and about half a dozen as replacements for my layer flock.

Then we have the ducks, but the "MAN" never said anything about raising ducks, sooo. . .

Back
Top Bottom