Uncovered run floor covering

FC16

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK 🇬🇧
I’m looking for recommendations as my run is getting a bit out of hand.
My chickens have lived at the back of my garden in their run for almost a year now. The run has always had a dirt flooring which was fine at first, but now it’s winter it’s getting rained on a lot and it’s very messy and their feet are constantly getting muddy.
I felt bad so started giving them some time in the main garden on the grass which they love, and I probably shouldn’t have as they now really don’t like the run. Whenever I come to the run they think I’m letting them out and get annoyed when I don’t 😅
I was thinking maybe I could roll some turf out in the run, but they’d probably just eat the grass within weeks and would Be back to mud again.
I think it’s best for me to avoid straw/shavings as that would probably be a nightmare too.
I’m not really able to cover the run as it would be really difficult, so trying to look for some good alternatives.
If anyone has any recommendations of something that’s good for being rained on, and that they can still enjoy scratching around in 😃

I’ve attached a picture of the run, it only shows the front but it’s the only one I have saved.

Attachments

• BBDB7E6F-1AD4-4874-B5C3-9C3D556C68DB.png
    BBDB7E6F-1AD4-4874-B5C3-9C3D556C68DB.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
Coarse wood chips, the kind you get from a tree trimming company, are usually considered the gold standard for controlling mud and odor in the run.

That said, any dry organic material can be used in the run. Fall leaves are free for the raking at this time of year. :)
Never thought of wood chips that seems a good idea, are they able to still forage in them?

Never thought of wood chips that seems a good idea, are they able to still forage in them?
They'll scratch them up looking for bugs underneath.
I have space to store a big pile of chippings from a tree trimmer,
I also can fetch them in feed bags from a buddy who has big piles of them.

full

full

They'll scratch them up looking for bugs underneath.
I have space to store a big pile of chippings from a tree trimmer,
I also can fetch them in feed bags from a buddy who has big piles of them.

full

full
Yes, they love digging through the wood chips.
I’ve been looking around trying to find somewhere local to me with wood chips and found 2 options at a local shop, would these be okay? If so, is the ‘mulch’ option better if the ‘larger bark’?
Trying to figure out how much is need as well which is proving to be harder than I thought😂

I’ve been looking around trying to find somewhere local to me with wood chips and found 2 options at a local shop, would these be okay? If so, is the ‘mulch’ option better if the ‘larger bark’?
Trying to figure out how much is need as well which is proving to be harder than I thought😂

It probably doesn't matter much -- whatever is more affordable as long as it's not treated or dyed.

Back
Top Bottom