Underground RR Quilt Block

Pics

katsdar

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 21, 2012
Armuchee, Georgia
[COLOR=333333]BYC is not responsible for transactions outside the BST area of the forum. All swaps are at the swappers risk and in no way will the Staff be involved in disputes. All disputes should be handled privately as per BYC Rules. No feedback and no feedback threads are allowed in these swaps. Do not report issues with the swaps using the report button. Please resolve all issues privately with your swap partner and/or the the swap originator. BYC discourages all transactions outside the regular BST area. Non monetary swap transactions are only allowed in this forum and only in a Swap thread. You must be 18 or over to participate in any swap, trade or any other transaction on BYC. All [COLOR=005CB1]BYC Rules[/COLOR] apply.[/COLOR] Due December 1st. Quilt Swap It’s time to sign up for the next BYC quilt block swap! Woo Hoo!!
Let’s do an Underground Railroad Block The block has to be from what the slaves used to navigate the underground RR. The colors will be muted greys,blues,reds,yellows etc. think of times long ago NO Bright colors this time, we will have several blocks to choose from and ask that if you are a more experienced quilter please pick a more challenging block. You can choose a block and it will be posted which one you are doing, so we do not get several blocks of the same. This swap will only be open to 12 quilters.

Please make 12.5” x 12.5” blocks that allow for seam allowances. We will need to make 12 blocks. Due date will be December 1st. Let the quilting begin! I am on BYC often, and I will be available to answer questions, and all who send blocks will receive blocks from whoever else takes part. I ask that when you ship all of your blocks, add a large SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope) for easy block shipment. ALL BLOCKS are sent to me (yes, even yours your keeping) so that I can be sure every pile of blocks sent out contains one from every single sender. It’s confusing to keep track of 12 - 15 different piles, and who doesn't need one. I want no mistakes, so make and send them all at once. TO SIGN UP: Please put "SIGN ME UP" OR "YES, I'M IN" or something all by itself in a post on the forum. (Or, put it first, then elaborate) Please post you want to be involved HERE on THIS THREAD. Thanks Kat I have found a total of 15 RR blocks, and here are links to some, if you find more please share but they must be from the Underground RR. the first link is a download of some patterns and story let me know if you have trouble. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=1PZipbjgLIyJsefjGeBnwA&bvm=bv.72676100,d.cWc http://home2.fvcc.edu/~cgreig/final/blocks.html http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Railroad-Sampler-Eleanor-Burns/dp/1891776134/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407864296&sr=1-4&keywords=railroad+quilt+pattern Cross Roads-quailtrail Log Cabin--Fenrosie Shoo Fly-plaidbattleaxe Monkey Wrench--OHhappychicks Bow Ties-katsdar Flying Geese-Rustyhen Wagon Wheel Drunkards Path Carpenter's Wheel-Kassaundra North Star-LacyBlues Bear's Paw-Coldupnorth Tumbling Blocks Basket Birds in the Air-majack Sail Boat---Anna6 Jacob's ladder some books mention Jacob's ladder some not saying this block was not one that was used, do we want to add it? [COLOR=FF0000]Consider your block carefully, as you will be making 12, we have 4 alternate blocks but wagon wheel and carpenter's wheel I doubt anyone will pick these, so we will have 2 left over if for some reason someone needs to switch, I can not stress your block selection enough, once you pick it the block is yours and please don't drop out as then we will be missing a link to our quilt. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
oh I almost forgot to tell you, my son met a man in Va that was closing up his quilt shop and he sent 4 boxes of fabric for me all kinds and most is in yards, I'm in fabric heaven.

Kassundra, They all look great, I think I like the second one best. Your new color sounds intriguing.

My DH and I have started on a shop hop, my first ever. Finding all the little far away shops I never knew about, some close by too. We are half way finished, The next leg is an overnight-er, one shop is in Halfway OR kind of at the edge the Eagle Cap wilderness area. then we drive behind Wallowa Lake area near the Hells Canyon view site. Should be some great Fall colors about now.We will stay the night in Joseph OR. then go home we will have or 2 Chihuahua's with us and hopefully a great bunch of quilting fabric.
I will be off for a few days while this is going on, I'm having a great time.

Blocks are on the way...not a great pic as it was done in the car...

Sorry I have been MIA been a rough few weeks.

Love everyone's blocks!!!!

Hey Ladies!

I found some cocktail sticks in my grandparents display cabinet which is at my Dad's house. I've included my little finger nail in the photo so you can see their size. Sadly there are only three.
Still, new members of our chicken collection, don't you think?

Now you can't say you don't have chickens
lau.gif

I wish I could design my own machine! Mine has a bobbin winder I don't have to take the bobbin out. Just pull the plate out half way and it rewinds right there. No rethreading, taking thread out. I just is so easy. I don't think they make one like that anymore. That is what I like best about my old machine. It only has 15 stitches, which isn't bad but I would like to have more options.

That would be cool, both the bobbin winder and designing your own machine.

I like having the many stitches to chose from, but I'd rather have few stitches sewn well then many sewn crappy.

Last edited:
I completed my test on the pattern I drafted, it did make it easier, but it is still a very hard block, but I sooooo LOVE how it turned out. I think each block will take roughly 6ish hours to complete so I need to figure out if I will be able to complete them, I do have until Dec

welcome to our new comers glad to have you and welcome back to our regulars, glad there is so much chatter, yes post pics even if you can't join our group right now

Thank you for the welcome----and for coming up with the idea for this awesome project!
I completed my test on the pattern I drafted, it did make it easier, but it is still a very hard block, but I sooooo LOVE how it turned out. I think each block will take roughly 6ish hours to complete so I need to figure out if I will be able to complete them, I do have until Dec

Beautiful! It pops out very much like an M.C. Escher. Great job
Thanks, yes I can post the pattern, I will have to tweek it a little first though.
Please and thank you!
woot.gif

I personally think a twist is cool. Like if you do an old pattern making it w/ unexpected colors or prints, or if doing something modern putting an older spin on it.

Back
Top Bottom