Underground RR Quilt Block

Pics
I personally think a twist is cool. Like if you do an old pattern making it w/ unexpected colors or prints, or if doing something modern putting an older spin on it.

It's 2AM here but I'm still awake as my Mother who has been struggling to breath for ten days now was finally admitted to hospital tonight. I made the first call requesting a paramedic at 5pm, by 9o/c still nothing but had been told I would be given an out of hours appointment at a hospital somewhere. At 9.15 I just decided she was too bad for me to move so I called them back and we were upgraded to 999 status . The ambulance came at 10.30!

Anyway let's talk fabric since I'm awake! I'm going to use civil war fabric for my blocks, I'm sure I've got enough left from another project. Keepsake quilting dose bundles of them . They are on their website, I think , if you want to check the colours.

Oh fenrosie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I will pray for her and for you. Hope it isn't anything too serious and they get her back home soon.
I've checked out keepsake, just to get an idea of the type of material used. I have an idea what colors I want to use. I wanted to go purchase the material this weekend, but didn't make it. We do not have any material shops in our town except Wal-mart. I want to buy something that is different. There is a quilt shop about 40 miles from me. There are others closer, but this place has lots of material to choose from. I'm going to try to get there this week. Hopefully Wednesday as I have to work Mon and Tues. I'm so excited!!! I got the underground RR book by Eleanor Burns from the library. I'm going to write out the meanings of the quilt. Just to have them as reference. I am fascinated by the whole idea of the secret codes. The book also explains the role of the blacksmith on the plantation. He could send messages by the way he hammered. Fascinating. I did a research paper in high school on the urr. I loved doing it.

this is a civil war period correct reproduction baby quilt that I made for a friend. It was the third I made for her as she is a re enactor. It is hand pieced and quilted.

That if VERY nice! I love the colors and pattern. Did you get the material from Whittles? I checked them out and they have some very nice material. I just don't like to order online. I walk around the store, find what I like and lay the bolts side by side, in the order I want to use it. Then look some more until I get the colors just right. It takes me quite awhile to pick out my material!!!
big_smile.png

That if VERY nice! I love the colors and pattern. Did you get the material from Whittles? I checked them out and they have some very nice material. I just don't like to order online. I walk around the store, find what I like and lay the bolts side by side, in the order I want to use it. Then look some more until I get the colors just right. It takes me quite awhile to pick out my material!!!
big_smile.png

Same here, and I MUST touch it, can't buy fabric if I can't touch it.

Sometimes I buy fabric online. I'll choose one that I really like the looks of, make sure its by a well known mill so I can trust the quality, and then I'll find my complimentary fabrics elsewhere. We have a Walmart here and a very pricey quilt shop plus another shop that has nice fabric. So, I have some choices on where to go but usually go to Walmart as they are less expensive (I know, I know) but I don't have a ton of money to shell out. However, I do not buy thin, cheap, garbage fabric either.

Just a few cookery questions. I know I'm changing the subject but you will be able to help me. I have been reading some books which have recipes interspersed with the story. All the measurements are in cups, not something we use here but I have a couple of sets. Hopefully they are US not Aussie.

So, what is half-and-half? Is it single cream? We have single and double cream here and clotted cream but I doubt you have that. Or is it semi-skimmed milk? We have skimmed, semi - skimmed and whole milk.

Next, when a recipe says flour does it mean plain flour (no raising agent mixed in the flour, used especially for pastry and Yorkshire pudding etc.) or self raising flour. That's flour which has baking powder in it and is used for cakes muffins etc although additional baking powder might be added. I'm guessing all-purpose flour is our plain flour, but some recipes just say flour and then add baking powder to soda. I think here if it's not specified we would assume self-raising flour.

Next, I am very confused about the different terms for chocolate. Here we have plain, milk and white ( like the stuff the milky bar kid eats). We tend to use a high cocoa content >70% for things that need a really good chocolate taste but there is also cheaper cooking type stuff in both plain, milk and white. Generally we don't use chocolate that can be considered as a sweet (candy).

Butter, apparently you have it in sticks. We have it in 8oz or 250gm blocks. Is a stick 4oz and is a cup of softened butter the equivalent of 8 oz?

And finally, for the moment anyway, what is egg nog? I know it is a winter drink but these books have chocolate in it. I thought it was more like an advocaar with alcohol in it. Very confused over this.

Thanks everyone.

Just a few cookery questions. I know I'm changing the subject but you will be able to help me. I have been reading some books which have recipes interspersed with the story. All the measurements are in cups, not something we use here but I have a couple of sets. Hopefully they are US not Aussie.

So, what is half-and-half? Is it single cream? We have single and double cream here and clotted cream but I doubt you have that. Or is it semi-skimmed milk? We have skimmed, semi - skimmed and whole milk.

Next, when a recipe says flour does it mean plain flour (no raising agent mixed in the flour, used especially for pastry and Yorkshire pudding etc.) or self raising flour. That's flour which has baking powder in it and is used for cakes muffins etc although additional baking powder might be added. I'm guessing all-purpose flour is our plain flour, but some recipes just say flour and then add baking powder to soda. I think here if it's not specified we would assume self-raising flour.

Next, I am very confused about the different terms for chocolate. Here we have plain, milk and white ( like the stuff the milky bar kid eats). We tend to use a high cocoa content >70% for things that need a really good chocolate taste but there is also cheaper cooking type stuff in both plain, milk and white. Generally we don't use chocolate that can be considered as a sweet (candy).

Butter, apparently you have it in sticks. We have it in 8oz or 250gm blocks. Is a stick 4oz and is a cup of softened butter the equivalent of 8 oz?

And finally, for the moment anyway, what is egg nog? I know it is a winter drink but these books have chocolate in it. I thought it was more like an advocaar with alcohol in it. Very confused over this.

Thanks everyone.

Half & Half--- it's the same as half crème and half skim milk 1:1 ratio
Flour--- typically just plain old flour (typically the white, not whole wheat)
Chocolate--- we have all those too! If it says Baker's Chocolate, that's the high cocoa content stuff. If it just says chocolate, the powdered kind is straight powdered cocoa with no sugar added. Chocolate chips have all sorts of nonsense added in like sugar, soy, etc.
Butter is in sticks mostly, but I like buying the pads personally. 1 stick= 4 oz. 1 cup softened butter = 2 sticks of butter/8 oz (sounds like a lot to think about, but ratio-wise, it's what it should be!)
Egg nogg is typically a Christmas drink. Don't like it myself, though DH loves it. It comes in glass bottles for the fancy stuff, or cardboard crates like milk at the chain grocery stores for less money. It's made without alcohol to be sold in stores, and the home made stuff usually has the liquor in it. Here's a good recipe, if you want to see ingredients and pictures: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2.html

Everything PBA said and just to further clarify, if a recipe here says flour they mean white all purpose w/o any leavening agents. Here if the recipe calls for self rising it will say that.

Back
Top Bottom