Understanding Chicken Math

Do ducklings just not count or do they cancel out chicks? Either way they're so stinking cute. Darn the chicken feed run to bomgaars! And my 3 begging boys! And we get home & my husband asks where his baby duck is... We are all so hooked

Last edited:
Funny story! So we mistakenly received 12 chicks last week after only ordering 6. We decided to keep 8, and rehome 4 ;) A family we know has been wanting to start their own chicken adventure but had yet to make the jump. I knew they would be a great chicken family, and told them we would give them chicks. Initially they wanted to start with two, but I convinced them three would be better! They have had the chicks for two days and went to the feed store for more supplies today. Just got a text and they left with 8 more chicks! He thinks they are crazy, I told him "Welcome."

Funny story! So we mistakenly received 12 chicks last week after only ordering 6. We decided to keep 8, and rehome 4 ;) A family we know has been wanting to start their own chicken adventure but had yet to make the jump. I knew they would be a great chicken family, and told them we would give them chicks. Initially they wanted to start with two, but I convinced them three would be better! They have had the chicks for two days and went to the feed store for more supplies today. Just got a text and they left with 8 more chicks! He thinks they are crazy, I told him "Welcome."

LOL too funny. Spreading the chicken math. The extra chicks were meant to be so you could do that :p

I know this thread is a little old, but I stumbled upon it while browsing around and felt so much better to know that I am not alone with my chicken math. A few years ago, my next door neighbor got chickens and I wanted some, but the timing wasn't right so I didn't get any. This spring, I went into a feed store with my son and they had chicks. It took no real persuading to have me buy him 2 chicks. When I got home, my husband was angry that I hadn't consulted him, but sent me back to buy a few more so at least we'd have eggs. My two chicks became 6 and then a few more unplanned stops at the feed store resulted in 8 (NH Reds, Dominiques, and White Leghorns). A recommendation to a local breeder resulted in 3 RI Reds. I wanted plenty of eggs. But wait, did you know that chickens lay colored eggs and there are all sorts of pretty breeds? Okay, so the whole family picks out breeds and we ordered 6 from My Pet Chicken and I found a different breeder selling cream legbars and I really wanted blue eggs so I quickly added 3 more pullets. Sadly, 2 of the selected breeds died and 2/3 of the RIR pullets were actually roosters. I messaged the second breeder, who has all kinds of beautiful chickens, and asked if he happened to have GLW. My husband really thinks they're beautiful and his had died. The breeder did not, but some of his olive eggers and salmon faverolles were now old enough to sex and he'd give me a great deal. So, we drive out to get a few chicks, maybe 2. The breeder is really nice, gives me a great price, and throws in a couple of free chicks so now I have added 3 olive eggers, an easter egger, 2 salmon faverolle pullets and an intentional salmon faverolle roo. But still... my husband really wanted a GLW and it's his birthday, so I place a small order (2 GLW and an Australorp for my son) and get 3 GLWs and the Australorp. So, I now have 29 chickens, but 3 are roos. I'm thinking they might want some more hens. :)

I thought chicken math was the term for planning how big to build your enclosure according to the amount of birds you have or are getting. Makes sense but now J realize how wrong I was. We started by talking about getting 6 hens. Found a great large coop for sale 2 miles from me. Wanted to do some work and build a run since it was larger than needed we decided and planned on 12. Galway they building we found a place that sold pullets 8 for $30 so said ok let's make it 16. Used the number 16 for building my run and roosts and decided to go a bit bigger on both, thank goodness. Went to pick up our 16 pullets and instead came home with 21 chicks!!!!

Unfortunately I was set up for larger pullets so had to do some last minute changes but we are 4 days in and doing great so far!

So we have six 20 week old pullets that aren't laying yet, which I ordered in June from the hatchery. Next week (hopefully won't get hit too badly by Matthew) I get 8 more chicks that I ordered for my birthday. Of course no one is laying yet so I don't have any chickens, plus one is an ornamental which means it will never count, and one is a bird to donate the eggs from (Meal Maker) so that's an act of kindness not a chicken so by my math I only have 12 chickens except they don't lay eggs yet so I have 0 chickens. Is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom