Unexpected wing colors developing in silkie chicks

DesertSilkieHen

Songster
8 Years
Oct 21, 2015
Kansas
I purchased a few day-old silkie chicks from a breeder two weeks ago and two of them are developing unexpected colors. What do you think they'll look like as adults?

The grey chick likely came from the blue/splash pen (but maybe the egg could have been from the paint pen??) but is developing all white feathers. Their down is a bright grey with a dark stripe running from their eyes around the back of their head.

The second silkie we originally thought would be a paint but is developing pale partridge striped wings. I haven't seen a partridge with these colors before and would love if someone could share a picture of what pale partridge adults look like!
20220902_111226~2.jpg

20220902_114133~2.jpg

I purchased a few day-old silkie chicks from a breeder two weeks ago and two of them are developing unexpected colors. What do you think they'll look like as adults?

The grey chick likely came from the blue/splash pen (but maybe the egg could have been from the paint pen??) but is developing all white feathers. Their down is a bright grey with a dark stripe running from their eyes around the back of their head.

The second silkie we originally thought would be a paint but is developing pale partridge striped wings. I haven't seen a partridge with these colors before and would love if someone could share a picture of what pale partridge adults look like!
View attachment 3244986
View attachment 3244980
I have seen pale partridge as chick feathering. Don't have pics though.

View attachment 3244986
View attachment 3244980
First one will be white. They are often gray as chicks. Second one will be a light Partridge.😊

20220914_105241.jpg

My little yellow chick is now getting some red in, so maybe he'll be a red partridge? Still not sure if he came from the red pen or the partridge pen, though.

The little grey chick is for sure going to be white and probably came from the splash pen (apparently splash x splash can give white offspring).
20220914_102647.jpg

Attachments

• 20220914_104852.jpg
    20220914_104852.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 23
View attachment 3259778
My little yellow chick is now getting some red in, so maybe he'll be a red partridge? Still not sure if he came from the red pen or the partridge pen, though.

The little grey chick is for sure going to be white and probably came from the splash pen (apparently splash x splash can give white offspring).
View attachment 3259779
Splash x splash can only produce white if both parents are recessive for white. Splash x splash can give a very dilute splash. But you still see some blue (grey) feathers here and there or possibly just some blue around the head and neck.😊

Update: the little yellow chick the breeder originally thought was splash and that we later thought would be a light partridge is maturing into a gorgeous red cockerel!

Snapchat-642765167.jpg
20221011_101141.jpg
20221011_105400.jpg

The little grey chick is maturing into a very fluffy white pullet.

20221011_101717~2.jpg

I know their sexes because I sent out blood for DNA testing. Planning on having a bird vet chemically caponize my two little roosters with a hormonal implant this week. :)

20221213_140754.jpg

20221213_141151.jpg

Update at 4 months! The little yellow chick that looked like he'd become a pale partridge is a handsome dark red rooster with black tips and funny little white cheek puffs.

The little grey chick is all white except for a couple of feathers of black leakage in her top knot. I'm guessing she's a recessive white from the paint or splash pen.

Back
Top Bottom