Unintended Turkey Newby...

stacymorris

Hatching
May 23, 2018
I went into our local feed store for a new chicken waterer last night, and somehow found myself walking out the door with two unknown rare breed turkey poults. I've done quite a bit of information cramming to ensure we provide for them properly, but my biggest question is how old are they? Does anyone have a growth chart or timeline for when young turkeys feather out fully etc.? I called the feed store and the poor kid that answered said he "thinks" they are about 6-weeks old, but I've got slightly younger various-breed chicken pullets that are significantly larger and far more feathered than my new turkey babies. Thanks in advance!

I went into our local feed store for a new chicken waterer last night, and somehow found myself walking out the door with two unknown rare breed turkey poults. I've done quite a bit of information cramming to ensure we provide for them properly, but my biggest question is how old are they? Does anyone have a growth chart or timeline for when young turkeys feather out fully etc.? I called the feed store and the poor kid that answered said he "thinks" they are about 6-weeks old, but I've got slightly younger various-breed chicken pullets that are significantly larger and far more feathered than my new turkey babies. Thanks in advance!
I am really sure that you did not get two rare breed turkeys since all domestic turkeys are the breed turkey. Since most feed stores only carry Broad Breasted Bronze and Broad Breasted White varieties, it is unlikely that you got anything that is rare.

Unless the store has been unable to sell them previously, it is very unlikely that they are 6 weeks old. It is more likely that their age can be counted in days than weeks.
Approximately 4 week old heritage poults
full

Approximately 8 week old heritage poults
full

Here are the best photos I have so far... Given the above photos I'm definitely skeptical of the age given.

Screenshot_20180523-141442_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180523-141631_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180523-141631_Gallery.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 1
Thank you! Those pictures are very helpful, you've got some beautiful birds, and judging by the feathering I'm guessing mine are closer to 3-4 weeks maybe?

Our feed store for whatever reason got several orders of assorted rare breed turkeys this year, and these two are some of the last of them... I'm pretty confidant that they aren't the more common breeds you listed as those have been sold out for a while here.

According to the hatchery the attached is the listing of what *may* have been in the shipment.
20180523_143111.jpg
By process of elimination I'm guessing they are probably midget white or holland white, possibly royal palm?

I never really intended to get turkeys... my daughter wanted some and I'd told her a week ago if there was any left after we returned from vacation we'd get a couple.... so, here we are! Pretty excited for something new though as we've had chickens for years and it sounds like they are great too keep.
Screenshot_20180523-141442_Gallery.jpg

Thank you! Those pictures are very helpful, you've got some beautiful birds, and judging by the feathering I'm guessing mine are closer to 3-4 weeks maybe?

Our feed store for whatever reason got several orders of assorted rare breed turkeys this year, and these two are some of the last of them... I'm pretty confidant that they aren't the more common breeds you listed as those have been sold out for a while here.

According to the hatchery the attached is the listing of what *may* have been in the shipment. View attachment 1401949By process of elimination I'm guessing they are probably midget white or holland white, possibly royal palm?

I never really intended to get turkeys... my daughter wanted some and I'd told her a week ago if there was any left after we returned from vacation we'd get a couple.... so, here we are! Pretty excited for something new though as we've had chickens for years and it sounds like they are great too keep. View attachment 1401955
I would say they are no more than one week old at the most.

They do appear to be White Turkeys and may well be White Hollands. They are not likely to be Royal Palm because they would already be having little flecks of black on their wings.

Just because the people making up the advertising do not know any better does not change the fact that they are not breeds but are varieties of the Turkey breed.

Back
Top Bottom