Uniting 3 hens

Petra Pancake

Songster
7 Years
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
Due to losses and changes in my flock I have 3 hens that have been alone, each in a separate cage/coop for a while. I want to unite them and make them into a new mini-flock. Housing them together is kind of urgent because one of the coops is absolutely not predator safe and un-fixable.

Question: I don't have the option of a lengthy introduction phase. What's better, first putting two of the hens together and when they've worked it out, add the third?
Or putting all three together right away? One of them is a pullet before point of lay but she's a larger breed and already bigger than the two older ladies.

Do you have a neutral spot where none of them have been yet to introduce them all together? That way, none of them has "claimed" the area for herself. After they sort their pecking order, they should be fine together wherever you want them.

No, unfortunately I don't have a neutral spot - they will have to go into the coop/run where one of them already lives. So I only have the option of either adding one first and waiting or dropping both simultaneously in to live with her.

No, unfortunately I don't have a neutral spot - they will have to go into the coop/run where one of them already lives. So I only have the option of either adding one first and waiting or dropping both simultaneously in to live with her.

Then I would do both at the same time. That way, there's more than one new addition and she can't focus on just one. Plus, if you add one, then later add the other, they could hang up on the last one. I would put everyone together at night then watch them in the morning to see how they're getting along. Some squabbling is normal while they sort themselves.

Back
Top Bottom