Unknown: Injury or Pox?

J2AKChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2023
Hello All, I was hoping if y'all could help me determine if my daughters poor chicken has either had an injury or pox and how we can go about helping her based off those details. She is the lowest lady in the flock and gets picked on frequently, she is also very docile and not much of a fighter, so we weren't sure if that had something to do with any of this.
None of the other hens are showing similar issues, seems to be distinctly her if that helps.
We appreciate your help and I really can't thank y'all enough for the information everyone shares.

Attachments

• IMG_1890.jpeg
    IMG_1890.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1889.jpeg
    IMG_1889.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1888.jpeg
    IMG_1888.jpeg
    326 KB · Views: 5
Poor girl.

You may want to house her separately if she's getting bullied that badly.

To me, the scabs don't look like Fowl Pox. They might be injury/peck wounds that just look a bit odd, could be skin cancer too, hard to tell.
I'd be inclined to paint the places with Iodine and see if they heal up while she's separated out, see that she's eating/drinking well. Giving her extra protein a few times a week would be a good idea too.

Do know, if you separate her, she may never be accepted back to her flock, but it looks like they don't accept her too much as it is.

I'll tag in @coach723 and @Eggcessive to see what their thoughts/suggestions may be as well.

Poor girl.

You may want to house her separately if she's getting bullied that badly.

To me, the scabs don't look like Fowl Pox. They might be injury/peck wounds that just look a bit odd, could be skin cancer too, hard to tell.
I'd be inclined to paint the places with Iodine and see if they heal up while she's separated out, see that she's eating/drinking well. Giving her extra protein a few times a week would be a good idea too.

Do know, if you separate her, she may never be accepted back to her flock, but it looks like they don't accept her too much as it is.

I'll tag in @coach723 and @Eggcessive to see what their thoughts/suggestions may be as well.
@Wyorp Rock Thank you so much, we appreciate your response.

I would flush the eyes with saline and apply some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin 2-3 times a day. It does look like fowl pox to me. I would think that others would have some scabs though, if it was pox. The swollen irritated areas look different.It could be a combination of things.

Back
Top Bottom