Unnamed baby cockerel. (Or pullet?)

Nov 18, 2023
The Sooner State
This is one of the chicks we hatched on October 31st. We checked his wing feathers and assumed that he was a boy. We did not name him, because we are going to butcher the males when they grow up. We assume that he is a red star/ Mille fleur d’uucle mix or a red star Easter egger mix.
Is he too young to sex yet or is there anything that screams cockerel? Please help because I think he might be the offspring of my favorite hen that just passed away, Ellie. And I would love to keep him if he’s actually a her.
IMG_0202.jpeg
IMG_0205.jpeg

What kind of hen was Ellie? What type of comb does this chick have? You might be able to know if this chick came from her based on some features.

What kind of hen was Ellie? What type of comb does this chick have? You might be able to know if this chick came from her based on some features.
I checked the comb, but it's so small it's hard to tell what kind of comb. I wouldn't be surprised if this little chick is Ellie's offspring, for Ellie was the only red/orange chicken besides Ginger, who is darker.

I checked the comb, but it's so small it's hard to tell what kind of comb. I wouldn't be surprised if this little chick is Ellie's offspring, for Ellie was the only red/orange chicken besides Ginger, who is darker.
The reason I asked is because if your EE has a pea comb then you would know if the EE was one of the parents if the chick has a pea comb as well.. but I realized after re-reading the EE would be the rooster so not as important since you’re hoping it comes from a certain hen. Fingers crossed for you it ends up a pullet!

Back
Top Bottom