Unremitting Pecking! * Update *

Quote:
I like that idea! I noticed the BR was pecking at the sides now and again, I'm sure she'll like this too. I'll do that tomorrow when they're awake.

Quote:
Would you recommend one brand of electrolytes over another? I'll check with the feed store tomorrow and see if they carry any.

And is live culture yogurt helpful? I'm just doing some searches on electrolytes, vitamins & yogurt here on BYC. The RIR is sleeping on my lap as I write, curled up inside a small hand towel.

I think live culture yogurt is always helpful, especially for chicks raised in a brooder. When a mama raises them they get the good gut bacteria from her (they eat some of her poo.) In a brooder, the yogurt provides good gut bacteria.

I'm not wild about electrolytes unless they are very hot, as in high summer temps, or sick. Electrolytes can certainly be overdone in people real quick. A little vitamin supplement is another thing. A bottle of Poly-vi-sol without iron, or another brand of infant vitamins, lasts a long time if you give a drop or two to each, or put a bit in their water now and then. I don't know whether feed stores carry it, but drug stores do. I tend to assume that none of us get food as high in vitamins as we need, so I take supplements myself, just to tell you where I am coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on some website that If a chick starts pecking the others, you should trim there beak... apparently it doesnt hert
idunno.gif

It's been a few days since my last post and I wanted to let people know (including any who may later search the archives) that the RIR hasn't pecked any of the other chicks since her one night in chick jail. Not sure if that did the trick or if it was the infrared light -- or perhaps both. The other chicks who had started to peck at each other have stopped as well. Everyone is getting along and growing.

A couple other things --
thinking they might have suffered shipping stress and/or be in need of better nutrition, I tried to interest them in yogurt but they didn't bite. I did add organic unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to their water. Was a bit wary of adding electrolytes so didn't, and did not (and would not) trim any beaks.

Thanks to all of you for your help! I really appreciate it.

edited to add more info.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that!! From the reading I've been doing that red light might be the biggest factor. Just a note about the yogurt. I put it in there plain and they just ignored it or walked through it until the first time I chopped up parsley and kale very fine and mixed in and then the next time just mixed it in with some of their mash....they just love it
love.gif
and quietly circle around the bowl gobbling it up and peacefully eating if off each others faces. The first time I saw one of the 'lesser' birds peck it off the current boss I thought feathers would fly but I guess he didn't take the gesture the wrong way
tongue.png
(it's also fun to watch them wiping their beaks on the ground to clean their faces)

Quote:
Yes, the plain yogurt was a complete bust! I did mix their chick starter in and a couple of them picked at it but most didn't go near it. Didn't think to try parsley or kale but will next time. If it's chopped fine enough are they ok without supplementing with chick grit? I haven't given them any grit or treats yet, just the chick starter.

Funny that your chicks were able to groom/snack on each others' yogurt faces without the feathers flying. They're interesting creatures, and a new adventure for me who has only had dogs, cats and horses.

Freyja wrote:

Didn't think to try parsley or kale but will next time. If it's chopped fine enough are they ok without supplementing with chick grit? I haven't given them any grit or treats yet, just the chick starter.

Well, I'm certainly no expert and have searched byc for answers to that. My chicks have been outside for part of the day since about 2 weeks old and they have had a sand dust bath. I was mixing in a bit of chick grit with the yogurt but have read other people saying it wasn't necessary to do if they were outside getting their own grit (and they have been eating something in that sand box). Other people have said it is good to start them with chick grit no matter what to develop healthy gizzards so.......I have been giving some chick grit and still trying to decide how much is the right amount.

Last night I mixed the yogurt/mash (no grits this time) too dry and it took forever for them to eat it so on the mushy side is best I think.​

Try the peepers from eggcarton.com. If you can identify the chick doing the pecking and put these on, you might solve the problem. They worked for my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom