Unsure if I need a rooster or not?

If she gives him away she needs to be very clear about why. Do not give him to someone who does not expect him to continue being overly rough. More hens might help, might not.
Yeah, the person I gave mine to had lots of hens. I don't know what they did with all the roos, but I didn't ask, either!

Nope, I'm go get rid of him soon.

What do y'all think is a good way to get rid of him?

If he were mine he would have been a capon by now with no bad behaviors and getting nice and fat for the table.

If you give him away, at least make sure you aren't giving him to someone who is going to use him as a bait-rooster to train his fighting cocks.

If he were mine he would have been a capon by now with no bad behaviors and getting nice and fat for the table.

If you give him away, at least make sure you aren't giving him to someone who is going to use him as a bait-rooster to train his fighting cocks.

That is pretty much a complete myth, and would make about as much sense as going to a nursing home to find sparring partners for a professional boxer. Gamefowl are born the way they are, and need absolutely no training. Most people that have them these days, try darned hard to keep them from hurting each other, let alone going out to get some possibly diseased piece of garbage to bring to their farm. Some people, myself included, enjoy the gamefowl because the behavior listed in this thread is almost unheard of in them.

That is pretty much a complete myth, ....
If you say so.
smile.png

If that's the case, then she shouldn't have any trouble making sure that doesn't happen, yes?

My own experience is that if you have less than a dozen hens, the rooster will ruin their plummage. I keep a rooster because I love to hear him crow. Other than that and the fact that they can be beautiful birds there is absolutely no reason to keep a rooster. Butch

Well all, I'm going to speak up for the poor Roos. I have 5 Roos and 25 Hens, some on their second season, some New. I have a mix of RIR, Delaware, Cuckoo Bluebar, Buff Orpington. California White, and black and blue copper Marans. With few exceptions, they all get along great. Each rooster has his own "Harem" and they really believe in "birds of a feather flock together". The roosters are very protective - they find food & show the hens by bobbing their heads, they scream when predator birds fly past, they shuttle hens into their respective coops at night, etc. I have one, who is also the biggest, like a small turkey (black copper Maran) and he is toughest on the hens (they do the shuck and jive to avoid him if they can!). I would never again have a flock without a rooster - on multiple occasions I have seen them save hens with their vocalizations. One small Bantam rooster fought with a hawk until it killed him as he distracted the hawk from his girls.

All I all, to each his own, but I say unless you have a mean rooster, remember - they are doing what nature intended and don't kill them or EAT THEM for goodness sake for being what they were intended to be!

Happy Spring to all of you flock masters :)

Well all, I'm going to speak up for the poor Roos. I have 5 Roos and 25 Hens, some on their second season, some New. I have a mix of RIR, Delaware, Cuckoo Bluebar, Buff Orpington. California White, and black and blue copper Marans. With few exceptions, they all get along great. Each rooster has his own "Harem" and they really believe in "birds of a feather flock together". The roosters are very protective - they find food & show the hens by bobbing their heads, they scream when predator birds fly past, they shuttle hens into their respective coops at night, etc. I have one, who is also the biggest, like a small turkey (black copper Maran) and he is toughest on the hens (they do the shuck and jive to avoid him if they can!). I would never again have a flock without a rooster - on multiple occasions I have seen them save hens with their vocalizations. One small Bantam rooster fought with a hawk until it killed him as he distracted the hawk from his girls.

All I all, to each his own, but I say unless you have a mean rooster, remember - they are doing what nature intended and don't kill them or EAT THEM for goodness sake for being what they were intended to be!

Happy Spring to all of you flock masters
smile.png
Thank you! I agree. Just because it's a roo doesn't mean he needs to get eaten!

Back
Top Bottom