Unsure of new chickens feet

Treat the other one you got too as it could be on it but just in the early stages. Very contagious so keep well away from the rest of your flock till it's cured (this is a good example of why new chooks should always be quarentined for 6-8 weeks so things like this are found before they spread to your existing flock.). Untreated eventually their toes fall off so that could be that not frost bite.

Try the Vaseline but if it gets worse you can also clear up very severe cases at risk of toe loss with ivermectin.

He deserves an email of complaint.

Last edited:
Luckily for me I have only got two others and they are only about 7 weeks old so have to be kept separate anyway so quarantine isn't really an inconvenience, I am keeping the chicks inside over night and I have a separate cage that can keep them separated from contact, I can even put a fence between them if nessicary as I have two separate yards, would this spread from one side of the yard to the other? I was going to allow these ones to free-range during the day and keep the chicks enclosed safely until they were full grown. I will treat the other one tomorrow, she's fairly dirty all over and generally needs a bath I cut out a few feathers holding a full poo from under her feathers today as I couldn't dislodge it and ofcorse her feet are covered in dirty feathers
1f610.png
so she would probably appreciate a wash if it's a warm day I just have to figure out what is safe to use, warm water and a little water soluble lavender oil prehaps? I will apply Vaseline to both of them starting tomorrow and keep a very close eye, there has to be something available locally that will just smash the problem surely because I'd rather treat it with medicine and just get it over with fast as possible and irradiate the risk to the others TBH. If this method doesn't considerably clear things up within a week or the other one shows any concern then I'm going to look into commercial chemical/medicine surely the stock feed sells something? I think her toes are already quite messed up and I don't understand how she was the only one like this or why it was allowed to get to this point. Prehaps this is why he was clearing all stock
1f612.png
who knows. Dodgy as. The feet are mangled looking some toes look like they turn upwards and I really can't bare her staying like this now that I know she's definitely uncomfortable/in pain. This photo is from after I scrubbed off as much as I could and applied ointment which turns clear so the white stuff is crusty stuff do her toes look like they are falling off? How long would this have had to be happening foe it to get to this point I wonder
1f60c.png
it probably looks about 50% better than before treatment but her poor feet are not normal shape. Will figure out more radical treatment method tomorrow and source products incase.

The scaly leg mites don't look severe. It should clear up quickly with treatment. As for the blackened toes, there's not much that can be done, if it's from frostbite. The best way to treat frostbite is to prevent it entirely. A well ventilated coop is one of the best ways to prevent it.

I have luckily got well ventilated coop I made sure of that and it's in a fairly weatherproof area under the side of the house so that it's double sheltered from wind/rain/frost. I actually think that her whole feet/legs are black underneath this problem (as well as her whole face/beak) is it possible that her toes are supposed to be black anyway? I wonder what her perants were hey, she has black feathers with a green sheen like astrolop or however you spell it, the skin on her body under her feathers isn't black and she's really tiny like the Pekin even looks slightly bigger than she is because of the puffy feathers. She was advertised as a prestige wynedotte bantam when I googled that brownish with a fine lacey pattern came up on google so that was what I was expecting
1f610.png
never seen anything like her not even pictures. I think the Pekin is true to what it's supposed to look like I'm gonna ask People though as I'm curious. I'm wondering if I should trim the feathers on her feet to make applying the Vaseline easier/cleaner? I'm assuming that they would grow back, but I don't know what their purpose is for her other than to be an adorable inconvenience, would she be unhappy with them cut back? I do think that they are going to become caked in dirt pretty badly otherwise
1f60c.png
I'm glad that I only have to do it for prevention with her hey!

So after school drop off I came home to bath and Vaseline this Pekin. I did trim back her feathers as best I could without risking hurting her I really don't know if there is any blood supply in the part of the feather closest to the skin or not? She didn't object. Turns out that underneath her feathers she is also infected
1f61e.png
not as badly, but it's Gross particularly up her legs and the tops of her feet. I bathed her fully and thoroughly with warm water and water sociable lavender oiland rinsed her well under the running tap, she was calm and still, once she was wet finding something rotting inbetween the tops of her wings where they connect to her back the smell was rotting toxic gag worthy *** I still feel nausea just thinking about it
1f637.png
it came off with some pruning and scrubbing luckily and the skin is clean, underneath that on one side though there is a squishy lump under her skin
1f632.png
it's round and kind of grey in Colour and the veins sit on top. I put light pressure on it with my finger there is nothing to it but fluid and she didn't complain when I touched it but far out what next? Oh what next, the bath also brought out some lice
1f612.png
there isn't many but they are there and clearly are not enjoying the lavender oil, fleas etc do not like lavender oil and it is soothing and aromatherapy/calming to we put it on dogs during hydro wash.. I sat with her outside in the sun and she let me help her fluff her feathers until they were almost completely dry, which took at least an hour. The coop won't get any direct sunlight until late afternoon which is good because it gets really Hot here in the summer especially in the middle of the day, but through the other seasons it might not be so great, I was considering allowing her to free range until she was dry while I supervised but a Currawong (which is like a medium sized, black Australian prey bird that kills smaller birds if unaware) swooped down and sat close by
1f612.png
I tried to shoo it without leaving her side and it wasn't phased just stared at us, these birds have serious balls! I'm unsure if it would be capable/interested in taking an adult bantam or not
1f60c.png
they are hunters that take small birds and animals. What a big pain in my butt! The black one finally came out of the coop when I returned the Pekin to the run, by then It was almost 11am
1f615.png
I now am going to have a hard time catching her to apply her Vaseline! But they both ate and had a drink together which made me relax.

How frustrating! Two occasions I have bought birds from breeders they have brought illness (respiratory and scaly leg mite) and it boils my blood
somad.gif

I began treating my girls leg mite with vaseline but she is a huge Orpington and too heavy for me to lift with one arm so it's extremely difficult without help, and then I noticed it begin on my other girls. I bought some Nettex spray and used this weekly plus the vaseline when someone was home to help me and it did the job. Her feet might still look a bit scaly until they naturally molt - try and trust your gut when you think she's clear - and then treat for another week or two. Keep a close eye and if starts to get any worse at all treat again for another couple of weeks.

Personally I would take the Pekin to a vet - infected lumps may need antibiotics and rule out any contagious diseases.

For lice/fleas dusting with diatom and adding it to their dustbaths is a good place to start. Here in the UK many people use cat flea treatment (frontline), one small drop for bantams and 2 for regular chickens, on the back of the neck. I used 1 sachet to treat 10 ex-battery hens when they came with a huge lice infestation.

Good luck, I hope you get everything sorted and can really enjoy your new girls
smile.png

Yes I was having a bit of a struggle getting the Vaseline even on the bottom of these little ones feet it's not something that's gonna be very fun day after day that's for sure! They look caked in dirt now too so probably have to be washed again before Next application
1f60c.png
I know that I can get front-line here, but I'm unsure what the other things are I'll have to look them up. I really have to get out and look around more to find all this stuff and stock up on a first aid kit for them so that next time something happens I have it sorted. It seems like wherever I go round here there is very limited available and I avoid online ordering now because my creep neighbour steals my packages, unless they are directly handed to me they are at risk
1f620.png
but I can't really seem to find a good all round
poultry range in one place online for AUS anyway? It would be great if I could get everything that I need in the one place
1f635.png

The yellow scab on the chest may be from fowl mites. That is what they do to my rooster. I found out about using Neem Seed oil full strength directly on the bird where the mites are, and it is the best controller of the mites I've ever used. I haven't had a problem with scaly leg mites, this is for body mites. It's a natural remedy.

Your hen is fortunate that you have her to take proper care of her feet. She'll have a wonderful home for life now.

Last edited:
You've done all you can do for the moment with the feet. They probably took a while to get like that, and they'll probably take a while to recover. If the mites are gone and she's growing a healthy set of scales underneath, you won't see it until the old ones come off.

I avoid online ordering now because my creep neighbour steals my packages

Creepy. Do you have anyone you'd trust to receive your packages for you? Alternatively, would your postman put packages inside a safe deposit tub? I don't mean like a bank-style safe deposit box, but something like a sanitary disposal bin with a more generous opening (like this). I haven't figured out what they're called, so I can't Google one up for you.

I just have to hope for registered post where it is taken to the door and signed for, and hope that I'm home on delivery, the currier knows me so he knocks and hands me all things that he brings but if I'm not home or it's through the mail box it's vulnerable
1f612.png
I even had to stop having fresh fruit and veg delivered because of this creep as it would be left on the door step! Having things posted to another address would be hard as nobody I know would be home to recieve so it would just end up at their local post office and everyone lives on the other side of town so I'd have to drive there to pick up from their local
1f60c.png
I wouldn't be surprised if it was another kind of mite on her skin as well
1f612.png
I'm starting to question if they are even the age he told me that they were, how could I tell? I wonder would lice and mite spray be effective for all round treatment? I've been looking around, There is stuff available that can be sprayed direct onto the chickens and also onto the coop etc with 6 week lasting effect which sounds amazingly convenient for application and less messy than powders, it's supposed to treat body lice and mites but it's $30 and another REDICULOUS $20 postage on the website that I found it
1f61f.png
there are cheaper alternatives I suppose I can find, but happy to try anything cheap/natural first if it is effective! I've never herd of neem seed oil is it from a health store or something? I hope that they both fully recover to live a comfortable life and that they feel better now that they have had some treatment, they are both so pretty. Today she came out for a free range for a little bit before bed and was digging around in the dirt, the Pekin wasn't keen to leave the coop and put herself to bed early, she had a really big day though I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom