Unusual injury

mkg1947j4c13

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2017
Have 13 laying hens and recently allowed 2 roosters to mature // now 25-35 weeks old // have had no issues except one being more 'randy" than the other. A few days ago saw one of the Delaware hens was bleeding from the back of her head, just behind her comb. Thought it might have been the roosters // over the next day or so noticed it was quite a bit more serious than I first thought. Caught her and the back of her scalp is basically shredded/missing and continues to ooze/leak. She is deathly afraid of the roosters now and am wondering -- just put her down -- I presently have 7 chicks at 7 weeks age so will have a replacement -- my issue is //rid myself of one rooster??? I don't keep but 12-14 hens // one rooster I kept is a cross between a Salmon Faveralle and Australorp // very large bird -- the other (less amorous) is cross between a Delaware and a Brown Silkie // also pretty large // both are large roo's // I kept these because they are large birds. I feel the hen was injured by the rooster as 'Ive seen nor had any problems with animals/preditors // comments // advise // also, I just raise for the eggs and freezer meat, so they're not pets -- just need to make sure I'm approaching the problem not the results of a problem. I've never seen a rooster take skin off the back of a head.

I would separate your roosters for now. It was most likely one of them. A young cockerel just coming into his hormones can be a total terrorist, and some are just very, very rough. They do hang on with their beaks on that part of the head when mounting.
Two roosters with 13 hens is pushing it a bit far, usually about 10 hens to rooster is a better ratio, but it depends a lot on the roosters in question. Sometimes they will calm down a bit as they get older, but not always. I don't keep roo's that hurt hens. I would not put your hen down. I would separate her and treat the wound, let it heal, and put her back with the rest of the hens. If you want a rooster to hatch eggs, keep the nicer of the two. If you are not going to hatch eggs, then it isn't necessary to have one at all, unless you just want one. I choose the roosters that stay with my flock based entirely on personality and temperament. About 1% of my decision is about looks. And it's entirely possible that the two of them at some point will challenge each other for the flock and it can get ugly.

It happens. Especially with young cockerels trying to breed the hen at the same time. Lacerations just anterior to the thigh on the sides of the hen can be caused by team mating behavior. If it were my flock, I would remove at least one of the cockerels.

I agree it was most likely a rooster. If she is a "favorite," poor thing, she may be being over mated. She may need to be separated, as well, if the other girls are picking at her injury any making it worse. The beautiful thing is that combs heal amazingly well. If is her actual scalp, which sounds like it might be, I would definitely treat it. Clean it, if you can. Minimally, I would treat it with antibiotic ointment, but take care not to use any with pain killer in it. How does she seem to be getting along?

Back
Top Bottom