UPDATE!!!! Jersey Giant Chick Sitting on bum ~ can't stand up ~

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
Poor thing is scooting around on it's rear & crying. I tried the splint thing & then it just falls on it's face. All the different ways of splinting just don't work! What elses can I try? I don't want to have to cull.....I only have 5 JG eggs, 3 yet to hatch (I hope & the other is fine) What do I do? I am desperate!
sad.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
-check your incubator temperature--if it goes too high near the end of incubation and/or you have poor airflow, bone development will be impaired.

-if you have the hens--are they on a balanced diet with calcium and riboflavin?

Are the legs rubbery, do the joints appear normal, can the chick move the legs vigorously or only weakly? Can you post a picture?

What is high for humidity? Mine was about 50ish. Air flow is fine.
Hens are on a very good diet.
The legs seem normal other than not having the strength to stand up. It seem to me that her litlle legs can move well, if I prop her up with my fingers she tries to move forward a bit. I think like Jenski said to give her therapy....it might just work.
The hobbles definately made things worse.

I am so happy!!!! The little one.... when I came home was standing!!!! All by herself! She is trying SO hard!!

I did work with her like Jenski said to do & maybe it has helped already but I can tell her little legs are definately getting stronger!

I think eventually she will be fine.
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
So cute!! What a trooper!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom