Update on saxony hatch due Friday!

Hmm Well my plan was once the others had hatched if the poor little guy hadn't then I would go in. I had to help my last hatch out (humidity was too low and so the membrane was too dry) but atleast in that instance I had the air cell for wiggle room.

After one of my 1st ever ducklings died I havent hesitated to help any of the ducklings hatch. If I have stragglers who are a day behind and only just pipped when the others are in the brooder, I get the shell off, peel a bit of outer membrane off and let them do the rest. Ive not had any with a yolk left. Quite a few of mine havent had any blood in the vesils so ive peeled it all the way back, got his head out and left him to uncurl and detatch. I have geese in a sort of lockdown just now, If I have too, Ill jump in and get them suckers out too if I have a bad feeling about it/them.

If I think there is a problem I certinally will intervene...just as a last resort really. My grandfather is so into the whole concept of if it isn't strong enough to hatch on it's own, well survival of the fittest and that was how we raised our flocks when I was growing up. I, on the other hand, am more than willing to lend a helping hand. These are my babies... I'm not breeding for stellar genetics just back yard pets so I don't see the harm

One thing I have found with ducklings that are the wrong way in the shell- is that they can take a day or two longer to be ready to hatch. Being that they are in a different position because of the limited space- they cannot move much which is one factor in triggering the absorption of the yolk and blood in the veins. If you decide you will assist the hatch be very cautious about peeling the membrane. It is best to peel some shell and wait a few hours to let the membrane dry out before peeling it back. This will stop potential bleeding as with the membrane dry- any blood left in the veins will also dry meaning there is less risk of causing bleeding.

Yay!!! Woke up this morning and 4 had an external pip..the two that didn't hadn't interanally pipped when I went into lockdown so they were behind a little. The one that I believe to be backwards is one that hasn't pipped so I'm keeping a close eye on him for signs of life.

I'll help if needed too, my lockdown starts on Tuesday for one egg, it's a staggered hatch, the two Saxony on the tail end of it. 5 of 6 still going strong! One of the green mallard eggs quit on me.

I helped the last duckling out when I hatched several years ago, she was in the egg so long, her butt took the shape of the egg, rounded out to the left. So we named her "Crooked Butt" but she went by CB. When her adult feathers came in, her tail went left, it was permanent.

Can't wait to have little ducklings!

fl.gif

Good luck!

The other two have not pipped yet, and I haven't seen any movement all morning/early afternoon...I want to check on them but I don't want to risk shrink-wrapping the ones that ARE making progress...
he.gif

That is wonderful news. At this point I would grab the one egg that has the chick upside down in it and take it out of the incubator. Laying a towel over the incubator while you open it will help to keep the humidity in. See if it is still alive by holding it to your ear listening for sounds. I hope it is, but I think you need to help it a little bit along. I hope it will make it too, because nothing is better then a 100% hatch. I'm still rooting for the last egg.

Back
Top Bottom