Update on sick chicks: what else can I do ?

Sorry about that 😅 my other threads dried up and I’m in a tricky situation. I’m actually holding a dying baby chick by the fire right now in a towel . No, the coup does not smell like cooked chicken. . The chicks came from Iowa and were overnighted to Virginia. I got six “replacement chicks “ from rural king a couple days ago . That’s how I have 22 and in about 5 minutes I’m guessing 21.
Looks like you are over heating them.
They don't have room to get away from the heat lamp.

Updated brooder photo
Looking at your brooder pic and I don't see any type of thermometer so how do you have any idea how hot or cold is really is? If that is a 250-watt red heat lamp it looks very close? Another thing could be that that is a very small brooder for that many they can also pile up so aggressively that they kill other smothering them under the pile.

Looking at your brooder pic and I don't see any type of thermometer so how do you have any idea how hot or cold is really is? If that is a 250-watt red heat lamp it looks very close? Another thing could be that that is a very small brooder for that many they can also pile up so aggressively that they kill other smothering them under the pile.
I have a thermometer ?

If they are only one week old, I don't believe it would be cocci.
We had rainwater spilling into our well. Which was contaminating our water . Coccidia lives in the ground and we had a hot snap for a few days. They could have gotten exposed to bacteria in the ground as well as possible Coccidia… corid will not hurt - I’m also aware of thiamine deficiency symptoms( not that I think it’s Coccidia but if it is I’m taking the right steps)

It takes a while for cocci symptoms to show themselves like 8 days or so and your chicks are only a week old and were dying after a few days of hatch. I would believe it is more shipping stress than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom