Update on sick chicks: what else can I do ?

Not sure if this will help you or not.
Yeah my chicks aren’t panting / and aren’t quiet at all , but it would be hard to follow given that the only ones who cheep the loudest have so far been the ones who end up dying. But the wing droopy thing is what’s ringing a bell with my sicklier ones.

The other chicks just make normal chick noises.

Wing droopy thing? Cheeping loudly? Sounds like overheating. Try pulling the lamp back a bit and see if that helps. One other thing that comes to mind, somebody mentioned not using a Teflon lamp, but are any of your cookpans Teflon? Don't use Teflon pans for cooking, the fumes are toxic to birds.

When you try to syringe feed your chicks, how are you doing that? There is a hole in the middle of the throat, you have to be very careful not to get liquid down that hole, it goes to the lungs. Squirt to one side or the other of that opening. I think @aart has a good graphic showing the proper way to do it.

Not sure if this will help you or

Wing droopy thing? Cheeping loudly? Sounds like overheating. Try pulling the lamp back a bit and see if that helps. One other thing that comes to mind, somebody mentioned not using a Teflon lamp, but are any of your cookpans Teflon? Don't use Teflon pans for cooking, the fumes are toxic to birds.

When you try to syringe feed your chicks, how are you doing that? There is a hole in the middle of the throat, you have to be very careful not to get liquid down that hole, it goes to the lungs. Squirt to one side or the other of that opening. I think @aart has a good graphic showing the proper way to do it.
peanut is a little more lively she will literally peck attack the syringe so I have no problems with her . For the others I drip a little drop on the side of their beaks and they naturally take it into their mouth on their own . All but two of them ^

peanut is a little more lively she will literally peck attack the syringe so I have no problems with her . For the others I drip a little drop on the side of their beaks and they naturally take it into their mouth on their own . All but two of them ^

Attachments

• IMG_6187.jpeg
    IMG_6187.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 15
Update: we adjusted the brooder a bit . We took my finances taxidermy stand and attatched the light to that so it’s higher . This is their third day off well-water . Chicks who have been doing fine continue to do so if not better . Two of the chicks stand out as not doing as well but will tolerate syringe liquids. (What would yall suggest I give these two in the syringe ) we are using corid for the flock as a preventative/ just incase. Really want to see the two chicks doing better.

Attachments

• 130D347F-3336-4BAE-9E91-4EB0CBF81C0A.jpeg
    130D347F-3336-4BAE-9E91-4EB0CBF81C0A.jpeg
    387.6 KB · Views: 10
Sick Chicks update:

It seems to me that the two chicks who were the weakest have gotten even weaker. Nothing seems to be helping. This includes Peanut..who has outlived all the other sick chicks even though it was the second one to get sick. She's two times smaller than the other chicks her breed. The second one is in decline mode but still eating and drinking. (same age as well) On the other hand...all but 2 of the 19 chicks left are doing great. Full crops and high energy.

Also another announcement...we got 9 more chicks yesterday and set them up in a separate brooder on the other side of the room using the brooder plate :) I was betting on a couple of breeds that didn't make it so I went ahead and purchased more chicks. Also hoping that because there are fewer chicks in this brooder there will be less competition. (they are one week younger than others).

What should I if anything be putting in these new chicks' water? We have been slipping a little probiotic and electrolytes in it the past couple of days but don't want to overdo it. Will say that only one of these chicks has had a pasty butt in comparison to the huge problem I had with the first batch.

Also - How do y'all use oregano drops (if y'all do)?

EDIT: After I posted this I went into the smaller clutch's brooder to find a dead chick ! GREAT

Last edited:
What should I if anything be putting in these new chicks' water? We have been slipping a little probiotic and electrolytes in it the past couple of days but don't want to overdo it. Will say that only one of these chicks has had a pasty butt in comparison to the huge problem I had with the first batch.

Also - How do y'all use oregano drops (if y'all do)?
Considering the problems you have been having, I would be inclined to give them just plain water, with NOTHING in it.

Plain water works fine in most cases. If you are adding things to the water, there is the chance the additives may be causing the problems (either because of what it is, or because there's something wrong with it.)

Back
Top Bottom